Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Dell XPS 15 7590
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I’ve seen other answers to this question that rely on going to the BIOS settings, turning off secure boot. and switching boot option to legacy, which will then allow me to boot from USB. This relies on the option to switch to legacy boot, which is not present in the menu. It seems like this is a more recent development, maybe to prevent users from using anything other than Windows 10? I’m a dev and I would much prefer to use linux, so if I can’t boot it on this machine I’ll probably just refund it for one made by a company that actually cares about customer agency. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi,

This is a HP Forum.

All OEMs and motherboard manufacturers designate various function keystrokes to select boot devices. Or you can modify boot preferences in the BIOS.

Yeah, you have to disable secure boot (enable Legacy support), if you want to boot to a USB stick containing unsigned boot media (Linux) when using newer PCs.

Contact Dell for assistance.

Regards 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.