Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 500
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

fitted  a new hard drive and have my Acronis rescue program on a external hard drive. Been into BIOS but only show CD being available, cannot find USB to make it first item in boot up.  

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

From what I have found, the USB has to be bootable for it to show up in the Setup BIOS menu.

From the way the post is worded, I assume you mean the Acronis rescue is on the external drive that is connected Via USB?

Now - I have Acronis and made a bootable Rescue DVD.  I checked the options at the "Rescue Media Builder" and it does mention plugin the external drive or if you plug in a USB flash drive, it will make the bootable Rescue USB.

So my question - did you do the "Rescue Media Builder" ?  And if "yes" try making the USB flash drive and then try booting to that new USB flash drive while the external drive is also plugged in, so the rescue interface can see the external drive.

FYI: I may have to try this on my system if you cannot get this to work.  Report back with additional info or questions.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thanks for reply, it would appear that my old desktop PC will not boot from USB. I put my rescue disk and full back up on an external drive  and it was not recognised.

HP Recommended

you did not answer this

So my question - did you do the "Rescue Media Builder" ?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Sorry yes i did

HP Recommended

From the very little info, I assume you did not make the the Rescue USB but just did it with the USB external drive plugged in?

I also assume that the new hard drive is now installed and you do not have access to the Acronis software.

Did you do this from the Acronis site and made the  Acronis Survival Kit? 

https://www.acronis.com/en-us/articles/recovery-drive/

With an Acronis Survival Kit, you create a completely self-contained recovery tool on an external USB hard drive. In addition to the required boot media and current system partition, it includes everything all of your backups, so all of your data, apps and systems are immediately available. By automatically capturing any changes you’ve made such as new apps, preferences or settings, it makes complete recovery almost as simple as plugging the drive into the USB port.

You can make a new USB Rescue Media to boot the computer from this site

https://kb.acronis.com/getmedia.  You need to be able to log into the Acronis account wheen you registered the software, however.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.