51 31 4 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Solved!

will not boot up without pressing F1

HP Recommended
hp compaq 7700 cmt
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi All, this pc will not boot up without pressing F1 to boot when prompted, any ideas?? been like this for yrs

6 REPLIES 6
boatmoter
Author
Level 3
51 31 4 0
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have gone from xp pro to win 7 pro to win 10 pro, still same,have to hit F1 to boot up, Im starting to think it may need a Bio's update, I have the 786 E1 vo1.10 in it now,is there a update any newer then this one?? 

0 Kudos
Hibb1
Level 6
463 463 38 87
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Usually there will be a message or error on the screen then asking you to hit F1 to continue. Is that the case? Is there a message displayed?

0 Kudos
krzemien
Level 7
731 713 31 171
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Correct, what does the message say?

Also, how old is your PC? Perhaps BIOS battery needs replacing (F1 usually loads default system configuration - which would be lost if BIOS memory is not sustained).

0 Kudos
boatmoter
Author
Level 3
51 31 4 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

the pc is a 2005, hp compaq dc 7700 cmt dual core, the cmos battery is brand new and I tested it with a volt meter..

0 Kudos
krzemien
Level 7
731 713 31 171
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK, what does the message say then?

0 Kudos
boatmoter
Author
Level 3
51 31 4 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thats it.. it's haunted.. it's been doing the F1 thing  for 6 years now.. just fired it up to write down the error message and it just went ahead and booted on up by the time I retrieved a pen & paper.., never done that before.. maybe the windows 10 upgrade fixed it... thanks for all replies,repost again if it starts up again

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation