cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
boatmoter
Level 3
51 15 4 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Solved!

will not boot up without pressing F1

HP Recommended
hp compaq 7700 cmt
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi All, this pc will not boot up without pressing F1 to boot when prompted, any ideas?? been like this for yrs

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
boatmoter
Author
Level 3
51 15 4 0
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have gone from xp pro to win 7 pro to win 10 pro, still same,have to hit F1 to boot up, Im starting to think it may need a Bio's update, I have the 786 E1 vo1.10 in it now,is there a update any newer then this one?? 

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
6 REPLIES 6
boatmoter
Author
Level 3
51 15 4 0
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have gone from xp pro to win 7 pro to win 10 pro, still same,have to hit F1 to boot up, Im starting to think it may need a Bio's update, I have the 786 E1 vo1.10 in it now,is there a update any newer then this one?? 

Hibb1
Level 6
473 445 38 91
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Usually there will be a message or error on the screen then asking you to hit F1 to continue. Is that the case? Is there a message displayed?

krzemien
Level 7
742 550 36 182
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Correct, what does the message say?

Also, how old is your PC? Perhaps BIOS battery needs replacing (F1 usually loads default system configuration - which would be lost if BIOS memory is not sustained).

boatmoter
Author
Level 3
51 15 4 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

the pc is a 2005, hp compaq dc 7700 cmt dual core, the cmos battery is brand new and I tested it with a volt meter..

krzemien
Level 7
742 550 36 182
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK, what does the message say then?

boatmoter
Author
Level 3
51 15 4 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thats it.. it's haunted.. it's been doing the F1 thing  for 6 years now.. just fired it up to write down the error message and it just went ahead and booted on up by the time I retrieved a pen & paper.., never done that before.. maybe the windows 10 upgrade fixed it... thanks for all replies,repost again if it starts up again

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation