Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Slimline 270-p043w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently got this slimline desktop and want to install SSD and have few questions -

1) Can this take m.2 SSD? I think motherboard has m.2 slot but I read somewhere that SSD does not work on that. Is this true?

2) if not, can I keep the existing drive as secondary and install 2.5 inch SSD as primary? In other words, does it support dual drive. If yes, what do I need to buy? Any instruction?

3) crucial mx500 or Samsung 860?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@mkn123

Welcome to HP Support Forums. A really great platform for posting all your questions and finding solutions.

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

I have checked the Motherboard Specifications and it has 

• One M.2 socket 1, key A

• One M.2 socket 3, key M

SSD drives uses M.2 Key B and M

You need to use SSD hard drives that will fit on the the M.2 Slot Key M. ( You can check the with SSD Hard drive Manufacturers)

If it does, then it should work and you need to reinstall the OS on the SSD drive 

Hope this helps

Thank you and have a wonderful day 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@mkn123

Welcome to HP Support Forums. A really great platform for posting all your questions and finding solutions.

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

I have checked the Motherboard Specifications and it has 

• One M.2 socket 1, key A

• One M.2 socket 3, key M

SSD drives uses M.2 Key B and M

You need to use SSD hard drives that will fit on the the M.2 Slot Key M. ( You can check the with SSD Hard drive Manufacturers)

If it does, then it should work and you need to reinstall the OS on the SSD drive 

Hope this helps

Thank you and have a wonderful day 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks. This was helpful. I will try that. 

Only thing one of the post suggested that even thought motherboard has slot for it, bios doesn't support it. That's why I wanted to be doubly sure before I spend money on m 2 else I stick with SATA.

HP Recommended

@mkn123

I'm glad you got this issue sorted out

Do visit our HP Forums and drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Off topic .....

As this brand new PC I want to swap hard drive to SSD, I am totally confused and unable to decide if I should do a clean installation of Windows 10 from USB media (I guess win10 should automatically activate) or shall I clone the drive it came with? I have not even booted the new computer yet.

Sometime It seems like I should do clean install to avoid bloatware and get latest windows without update, but would I be missing drivers, any useful software and support/warranty by doing a clean install?

On the other hand I think as this is brand new drive, I would not be carrying over any junk files and therefore should just do a clone to keep everything it came up with including any useful software and support?

Any advice?

HP Recommended

@mkn123

You can either clone it or do a fresh installation. But as you mentioned, even I would have gone with a clean install to be safer and would avoid bloatwares. 

But then you will need to reinstall all your 3rd party Softwares. As for the drivers you can download and run the HP Support Assistant.

If you use the HP Recovery Media to reload the Windows then the computer will be back to original factory settings with all the HP Softwares and drivers

Thank you 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

if you install a M.2 ssd will the pci-e slot for graphics cards disalble?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.