Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP COMPAQ 8200 ELITE SFF
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello hp community I have an issue with my pc its 2 ram slots not working 3 & 4  everything was fine the pc was working fine but suddenly my pc displayed a black screen and didn't boot so I removed ram from 3&4 slots my pc displayed and now that's the issue even if I try to put in only slot 3 or only slot 4 but pc didn't display the question is how can I fix this issue my ram sticks are fine and working in other slots 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @Akhtiar 

There is no software tweak that will fix a physical hardware issue like failed ram slots. That takes deep level repair skills and usually people choose to simply replace the motherboard instead, or simply buy another computer.

No, I have no recommendations on buying another motherboard. You would either take your chances on another used board somewhere, or buy another computer.  If you can get by on the first two slots working, then you will have to use it as is.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @Akhtiar 

There is no software tweak that will fix a physical hardware issue like failed ram slots. That takes deep level repair skills and usually people choose to simply replace the motherboard instead, or simply buy another computer.

No, I have no recommendations on buying another motherboard. You would either take your chances on another used board somewhere, or buy another computer.  If you can get by on the first two slots working, then you will have to use it as is.

HP Recommended

If you are confident enough you could try cleaning the slots using alcohol and compressed air. It's a long shot but worth a try.  Examine the RAM for any marks on the gold where it might be black from a surge.  

HP Recommended

Thank you I'll buy another

HP Recommended

thank you for the solution I'll try to clean slots if it works 

HP Recommended

When you have another, try cleaning the slots with a soft toothbrush inside and using alcohol.  Blow out with compressed air. It's worth a try if the ram hasn't been damaged then the slots may not be totally gone. Take out  the cmos battery overnight and put it back in and try as it resets the bios. Good luck with all.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.