Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP elite desk 800 G1 Sff

I put in a new Graphics card and power supply. When I turn it on it beeps 4 times and the power button turns red. The beeps are long

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

The power supply probably isn't sufficient to power the card + the rest of the PC.

What model card did you install?  

If it draws more than 60 Watts, it is probably too  much for the 240 W power supply.

See the troubleshooting guide at the link below, Appendix A, page 58 for how to troubleshoot the 4-beep code error.

c01516072.pdf (hp.com)

HP Recommended

I swapped the 240 Watts for a Thermaltake Smart 430W 80+ White and the graphics card is a Asus Phoenix GeForce gts 1650 OC Edition 4GB. Before I even put the graphics card in it was doing the 4 long beeps.

HP Recommended

I wouldn't know what the problem would be other than the 4-beeps = a power issue as the troubleshooting guide indicates.

I didn't even know you could install any other power supply but the ones for your PC that HP offered, because they are proprietary.

A 320W and a 240W.

Also, the PCIe x16 slot is rated for up to 35W in the SFF and 75W for the MT, although folks have installed cards that draw more than 35 W in the SFF.

HP Recommended

To be honest with you my friend knows about computers he builds them for gaming but he showed me how to install everything but he didn’t understand why it’s beeping if everything is installed correctly. He thought it was a overload issue which makes no sense when the computer doesn’t take more than 250 watts or 300 at most to run the computer and the new graphics card. I’m going to get an air can tomorrow to blow out any dust or dirt that’s hiding to see if that helps.

HP Recommended

Unless the PC was working fine with the 240W P/S before you made the modifications, it could also be a motherboard issue as the last step in the troubleshooting guide indicates.

My understanding is the main power connectors are different for the HP business desktops and a standard PC that you build.

Installing a non-HP power supply requires adapters to work with the main power connector on the motherboard.

Below are the 320 W P/S part numbers HP offered in the model series.

702452-001
Power supply assembly - Rated at 320W, 12VDC output, 92% efficient (EPA92)

702453-001
Power supply assembly - Rated at 320W, 12VDC output, 90% efficient (EPA90)

702454-001
Power supply assembly - Rated at 320W, 12VDC output, standard

I'd go on eBay and find one of those.

HP Recommended

@  Anthony 619123

in Addition to what Paul is saying I would check the PCIe slot you're using, some of these have a wattage rating and if you use the wrong one you could have this problem.  This computer has 2 x16 slot (the white one is actually an x4 slot.)  I would move it to the black slot.

I found that non HP power supplies put into these computer generally does not work. (even when the cables are modified with an adapter cable.

Try the following sequence.

1. I would but the stock power supply back without the card first to verify that the computer itself is fine.  Ensure both the main connection and the CPU power connection are connected (there are 2 of these).

2. Then try you're card in the x16 slot (the black longer PCIe slot) .

If this works then you are fine.

3. If not check how the power supply is connected (usually these board have 2 connectors to the board, one for the board and one for the CPU itself.  The rbeep code could be from the CPU cable not being connected.

Let me know if that handles the problem.

Regards,

Matt

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.