Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
TE01-0034

I have an ENVY TE01-0034 (Rother 8653 MB) that I want to add a GPX 1660 Super 6GB graphix card.  Current PSU (P/N L08261-004) is 180W but new graphix card requires a minimum of 450W.  What is 500W upgrade PSU for this desktop?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@jmcd15 , welcome to the forum.

HP has their motherboards made to their specifications.  Your motherboard (Rother) has a proprietary 4-pin power connector.  This means that you would need an adapter from the standard ATX power connector on the power supply unit (PSU) to the 4-pin connector on the motherboard.  I haven't been able to find any adapters for this on the Internet.  The largest PSU that I am aware of from HP is only 400W.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Thanks for the help/answer.  In addition to asking the community I also pursued an answer from HP support.  After more than an hour and being passed around to no less than 4 departments (all of which claim to be unable to answer the question because they are working with a different "set of tools" than the other departments) I was told that the HP motherboard is incapable of supporting an aftermarket/add-on graphix card and the only PSU available for my model is the 180W unit I have.  I find this difficult to believe on several fronts,  First, why does the MB have a PCIe slot if you cannot add something like a more robust graphix card?  Second, why do they say that only graphix available is the on-board Intel 630 chip when I see numerous HP units with the same Intel chip set (w/ 630 graphix) being sold by vendors who have upgraded the unit with better RAM, graphix cards, etc.  Do you know if what they are stating is true?

HP Recommended

@jmcd15,

Do not attempt to find an adapter. It will not work.

All the known PSU units in these models use the following wiring coming off the unit.

1) Two 2x2 plugs, 1 for CPU , 1 for Main power

2) 7 pin  inline plug for the Fan power (only 3 wires attached).

3) PCIE 6+2 known to exist on the 400W PSU.  Likely the 500W.

I wrote this excel spreadsheet to cross reference the models and power supplies.

"click on pic to enlarge"

PSU theory list.JPG

Now the problem/issue:

1) Rear of chassis has to be opened to allow the PSU to vent. Existing fan vent cut-out is for the smaller PSU.

2) The PSU is held into place by only 1 rear screw.  The PSU mounts on the bottom of the chassis, so the original latching tab will keep secure. (Its a push-down latch that keeps the PSU from sliding forward if you had removed the rear screw(s).

@jmcd15,

I wish I had some pictures of your model.

1) front, rear

2) Inside the case

Send me a PM if you want to discuss this. I could then increase my database.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.