Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z2 Mini G3 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can I put 64gb ram on z2 mini g3 performance version? Documentation says the max is 32 but I thought it might be windows 7 related or simply because a single unit 32gb ram didn't existed back then. Have anyone tried this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can do this to see how much memory your PC can support.

1. In the search box, search for cmd and click Run as administrator. This will open the command prompt.

2. Once command prompt is opened, type wmic memphysical get maxcapacity and hit enter. There, it will show the maximum RAM capacity your PC's motherboard can support.

The capacity is shown as Kilobytes, so you have to convert it to Gigabytes by dividing the number provided in the report by 1,048,576.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can do this to see how much memory your PC can support.

1. In the search box, search for cmd and click Run as administrator. This will open the command prompt.

2. Once command prompt is opened, type wmic memphysical get maxcapacity and hit enter. There, it will show the maximum RAM capacity your PC's motherboard can support.

The capacity is shown as Kilobytes, so you have to convert it to Gigabytes by dividing the number provided in the report by 1,048,576.

HP Recommended

Hi, I just got my z2 mini workstation and did as you suggested. Maximum capacity 64(hurray).

But why do HP says 32 max? Is there a risk to blow up something if I put more?

HP Recommended

That might be because HP only tested the PC with 32 GB of memory.

The worst case scenario is the PC won't boot up if 64 GB of memory is not supported.

If you plan on experimenting, only buy one 32 GB chip, and see if the notebook works with the other memory chip installed.

If it does and everything seems normal, reports the correct amount of memory etc., then you should be able to add the second 32 GB chip.

The processor specs for the Intel® Xeon® Processor E3 v5 Family indicate they can support up to 64 GB of memory.

Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1245 v5 (8M Cache, 3.50 GHz)

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot Paul!

I'll try that and post the results.

My CPU is i3 7100 but it also supports 64 gb 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You are correct...your PC's processor supports 64 GB.

Intel® Core™ i3-7100 Processor (3M Cache, 3.90 GHz)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.