Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 690
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Looking at the Product Specification page for this machine, under Expansion Slots, it states: 1 PCIe x1; 1 PCIe x16; 2 M.2

I would like to use one of those M.2 slots for an additional SSD. How can I find out what adapters and cables are necessary?

I would also like to add a second video card for running Davinci Resolve 16, a video production tool.

First, any ideas on the best card while keeping the existing 400W PSU?

Second, could I install another GTX 1660 Ti, or similar, if I upgraded the PSU?

Thanks!

Scott

--*\__/*--
HP Pavilion 690-0073w new 12/2019
i5-9400, 2x16GB Patriot DDR4 2666, GTX 1660 Ti, added 640GB 3.5" HDD
3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@BuckskinSlim Here's the description of your expansion slots and what they can be used for:

• One PCIe x16 socket - in use: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1660 Ti Graphics (6 GB GDDR6 dedicated)

• One PCIe x1 socket

• One M.2 socket 1, 2230 type for WLAN

• One M.2 socket 3, 2280 type for SSD

You already have a pretty good graphics card that should support the requirements of the Davinci Resolve 16 as per this website: Click here

(The above link is 3rd party and is not owned by HP, I've posted this only so that I may help you resolve this issue by going beyond my support boundaries, please ignore the ads and take only the free suggestions)

If you still wish to upgrade, here's what you need to know:

HP does not support or recommend upgrading the device as it is equipped with parts that perform at its optimal performance and also, the upgradeable parts listed in HP articles are purely for your ease, though the decision to upgrade will be at your own discretion & there's no specific recommendations or suggestions I can provide, please check with a local tech for the same.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you!

I realized I was misreading the specs, so there are no open Pcie x16 or M.2 slots.

However, I have ordered a Pcie x4 adapter for an NVMe card, and a 1TB NVMe SSD, in the hopes of maxing out the possibilities for this machine. They arrive Monday, so we'll see.

Thanks for you help.

--*\__/*--
HP Pavilion 690-0073w new 12/2019
i5-9400, 2x16GB Patriot DDR4 2666, GTX 1660 Ti, added 640GB 3.5" HDD
HP Recommended

@BuckskinSlim

Keep me posted and drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.