Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
8200 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a 8200 SFF that runs its power supply fan very hard at times, most commonly during a reboot but other times as well. It almost sounds like a jet engine at times (an exaggeration, but clearly it's very loud). It'll simmer down but oftentimes runs for minutes at a time. i've tried replacing the power supply but that didn't make a difference. Is there a BIOS setting that might control this? As far as that goes, what's the recommended BIOS level for this machine? I believe I'm at 2.28.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I did find a newer BIOS, but it is listed as a version under Windows 7 and may not run in Windows 10.  I think it might but you can try.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-compaq-8200-elite-small-form-factor-pc...

As far as the "power supply fan" making a loud noise.  I think most likely what you are hearing is the fan on the CPU cooler.  If there are settings in the BIOS (there maybe or not) for the CPU temperature settings, that is where that might be addressed.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

First,Add some oil to the CPU fan,it may work.

Second,You can try to replace the Fan or Heatsint assembly,it should be the bad work of fan system.

A HP Computer lover
HP Recommended

Hi,

Last year I had the same problem, and that time I brought a new powersupply to change it. Didn´t solve the issue. The new power supply was running fast as a jet as well.

Then, I started to take things appart. 🙂 I remove one of the new memory card that I recently add. Like magic it worked.

Since then, it was running smootlhy.

Today, more than a year after the chaos, I decided to add a new hard drive. My heart almost stop because it supposed to be a very easy process, open the lid, add the hd, close the lid and let the Bios recognise the new hardware. Man the jet phantom returned to my office. I decided then to clear the bios (using this info https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03100746) and I change one of the extra memory card. (I change from one slot to another). It works!!!!! 

I know that I supposed to change one thing at a time, but what a hell I was desperate.) Anyway, I just leaving an idea for you to test it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.