Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP mpavilion A6552F Desltop
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

The original computer had a 3.5 inch floppy drive.  I unplugged it and now it won't recognize the device.  When I enter setup it show no floppy and when I highlight I can select the 3.5 floppy.  F10, then yes and save, but the floppy is nowhere to be found. 

Any suggestions welcome.  

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

If your drive has an LED does it light up when system is powered up?  Check that the power cable and the IDE cable are securely connected.  Is is possible the 3.5drive is USB and not IDE.

If USB move the connecting cable to another header.  Some motherboards have what looks like a USB header but it is labeled 1394 be sure NOT to use that one.   The spare USB ports (If any) will be labeled USB1, 2, 3, etc

If your 3.5 has a mechanical eject button it will always work,  If it has a small push bottom switch then it only works if the power is connected even if bios does not see the drive.

If it is not USB then look in the bios for "floppy interface" and make sure it is enabled.  

I have an external USB floppy that I have used occasionally in the past to update bios on old motherboards.  They are cheap on ebay

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

hi @DGSRV 

https://support.hp.com/hr-en/document/c01492749

can you confirm it is this model?
There is the One floppy drive connector, is that correct?
I have not seen mention of the drive it is original?
Why did you unplug it?
When you say:
"When I enter setup it show no floppy and when I highlight I can select the 3.5 floppy. F10, then yes and save, but the floppy is nowhere to be found."

Are you talking about the floppy disk, not visible when you open the computer?
or a floppy drive, which is no longer available anywhere?

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Model is correct.  There is a floppy connector on the motherboard,   The drive came installed on the computer.  It doesn't matter why I unplugged it.  When i go into the bios to set it to recognize the floppy, it is "not installed," and one of the options is a 3.5 inch floppy.  I select that, hit F10 and save and exit, but the floppy light doesn't come on, and it doesn't appear in  Windows.  I believe the drive is ok as I have several and none of them work.  

I have two other HP machines that use an updates bios that also doesn't seem to work very well  None of these are up to the standards I've come to expect of HP, 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.