Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 500-366na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently successfully upgraded my HP laptop to SSD and decided to do the same for my desktop Pavilion 500-366na.  In both cases, the SSD is a 500 GB Crucial MX500.

I have cloned my desktop HD to the SSD and located the SATA ports and suitable power outlets.   Ideally, I would like to retain the existing 3.5" 2 Tb HD for user data while using the SSD as the boot and software drive.  I am expecting to accomplish this by reconfiguring the BIOS settings.

This will sound trivial to many I'm sure, but my problem is that I cannot figure out where to physically locate the SSD. Pictures and videos of other HP desktop systems generally show bays, but that does not appear to be the case with my model.  I have bought an Inateck SSD Mounting Bracket 2.5 to 3.5, as it claimed to fit all popular PC casings, but the only place where I could perhaps use this is if I were to remove the DVD drive.  I could probably use a combination of cable ties and duct tape, but I would really prefer not to.   I would appreciate some advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@RichardStony 

From the following specs

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c04341334

Your machine only has 1 bay for HDD and it is already occupied:

Bay size
Total Bays*
13.33 cm (5.25 inch) ODD
8.89 cm (3.5 inch) HDD
* Bays may be occupied by existing hardware.

Can you find room inside to add ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@RichardStony 

From the following specs

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c04341334

Your machine only has 1 bay for HDD and it is already occupied:

Bay size
Total Bays*
13.33 cm (5.25 inch) ODD
8.89 cm (3.5 inch) HDD
* Bays may be occupied by existing hardware.

Can you find room inside to add ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you.  At least I'm not missing anything obvious.  Yes, there's quite a bit of space, so cable ties and tape will have to do the job.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.