Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavillion p6-2022uk
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi, 

This is my first posting here. I'm helping a friend to get additional USB ports for his Pavillion p6-2022uk. It's Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit version.

Out of six USB ports attached to this HP desktop only 2 are working and 4 are no longer working as in dead and gone. The first one is reserved for his keyboard and the second one is reserved for a mouse. 

A couple of questions for you kind souls HP forumite experts.

1, are there empty slots on this motherboard of HP desktop for USB 2.0 expansion cards? (or possibly USB 3.0 version?) 

2, will I be able to buy and fix the new expansion card to the motherboard and get it working without encountering any unforeseen problems or errors similar to the ones showing from 4 dead non-working ports i.e. device not recognised, drivers issues?

I would be most greatful to receive your advice on my buyig it and fixing it options.       

Many thanks,

Arkeyone

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@arkeyone, welcome to the forum.

@arkeyone wrote:

Hi, 

This is my first posting here. I'm helping a friend to get additional USB ports for his Pavillion p6-2022uk. It's Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit version.

Out of six USB ports attached to this HP desktop only 2 are working and 4 are no longer working as in dead and gone. The first one is reserved for his keyboard and the second one is reserved for a mouse. 

1, are there empty slots on this motherboard of HP desktop for USB 2.0 expansion cards? (or possibly USB 3.0 version?)  Yes, there are three PCI Express x1 slots on the motherboard that would work nicely with a USB 2.0 adapter card.

2, will I be able to buy and fix the new expansion card to the motherboard and get it working without encountering any unforeseen problems or errors similar to the ones showing from 4 dead non-working ports i.e. device not recognised, drivers issues?  If yo buy a good card it should work without any problems.  If it were me, however, I would find a good manufacturer and contact their Tech Support for help with choosing the best card for the system.  This will save frustration and money in the long run.

I would be most greatful to receive your advice on my buyig it and fixing it options.       

Many thanks,

Arkeyone

You are welcome!

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@arkeyone, welcome to the forum.

@arkeyone wrote:

Hi, 

1, are there empty slots on this motherboard of HP desktop for USB 2.0 expansion cards? (or possibly USB 3.0 version?)  Yes, there are three PCI Express x1 slots on the motherboard that would work nicely with a USB 2.0 adapter card.

2, will I be able to buy and fix the new expansion card to the motherboard and get it working without encountering any unforeseen problems or errors similar to the ones showing from 4 dead non-working ports i.e. device not recognised, drivers issues?  If yo buy a good card it should work without any problems.  If it were me, however, I would find a good manufacturer and contact their Tech Support for help with choosing the best card for the system.  This will save frustration and money in the long run.

Many thanks,

Arkeyone

You are welcome!

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Many thanks for your prompt reply Old Geekster. I shall take your advice and get a new USB expansion card and would go 

for a recommended brand.

Most appreiated,

Arkeyone. 

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @arkeyone.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.