Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Desktop 500-479
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently  successfully redid my HP desktop 500-479 by adding a Samsung EVO 850  500gb SSD and doing a fresh install of Windows 10 on it.  The original HDD on the desktop is now my second drive.  No problems so far.  The system seems very fast for my purposes.

After the install I installed the HP Assistant Software, which I have always followed for updates.  Recently the Assistant recommened I install Rapid Storage Technology ().

With my setup is there any real advantage to  installing this?   It has to load at boot and forums have reported rare problems but they happen.  I only want to add it if offers a benefit beyond a bit of speed.

Opinions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

If the drive controller in your PC is set to AHCI, there is no need to install that driver.

If you install the latest Intel chipset driver, that should also install the latest drive controller driver without the RST software.

The 2nd file down on the left is the auto install file.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20775/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-INF-Update-Utility-?pr...

I think you only need the full RST driver and software package if you plan to set up two or more drives in a RAID configuration.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi:

If the drive controller in your PC is set to AHCI, there is no need to install that driver.

If you install the latest Intel chipset driver, that should also install the latest drive controller driver without the RST software.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20775/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-INF-Update-Utility-?pr...

I think you only need the full RST driver and software package if you plan to set up two or more drives in a RAID configuration.

HP Recommended

Hi,

If you review the posted IRST driver updates for your PC, the AHCI and RAID drivers are one in the same update package.

The full Intel Rapid Storage Technology does have some advantages verses the default MS installed support. If you are using Hot Swap type of activities then you will get notifications. Using the full IRST package for non-RAID operation will give you Storage System Information, Storage System Warnings and Storage System Errors. Additionally, you get the latest driver from Intel verses the last certified driver from MS which in some cases that is not good enough. Review HP's posted comments on the IRST driver update and then again on the RAID driver update.

I have been using the full IRST package for years with AHCI and RAID.  On my custom PC, IRST is one and the same software update package.

Bottom line: What does the PC manfacturer recommend and use? Is that good enough for your needs?

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanenwrote:

Hi:

LOk, the controller is AHCI already, so no need to install IRSP. 

I hesitate to install the Intel driver a bit, as the HP Support Assistant is supposed to provide all  apppropriate updates for my computer.  I haven't gone past that yet - e.g. there's a BIOS update available for my BIOS on the HP Website, but Support Assistant considers my BIOS up to date. 

Do you think the Intel update is safe and worth it?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi:

Go to the device manager for your PC.

Since the drive controller is set to AHCI, there should be an IDE/ATA/ATAPI Controllers device manager category.

Click on that, and there should be some model Intel SATA AHCI controller listed there.

If there is, then you don't need to install the chipset driver.

If there is a Standard AHCI controller listed there, then I would recommend you either install the Intel chipset installation utility from your PC's support page, or the one I posted directly from Intel.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Even my HP 17' which doesn't have RAID uses the same IRST software update. And, the latest version post by HP is marked for Windows 10 version 1709.

When you boot your PC, Windows will load the appropriate driver.

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanenwrote:

Hi:

Go to the device manager for your PC.

Since the drive controller is set to AHCI, there should be an IDE/ATA/ATAPI Controllers device manager category.

Click on that, and there should be some model Intel SATA AHCI controller listed there.

If there is, then you don't need to install the chipset driver.

If there is a Standard AHCI controller listed there, then I would recommend you either install the Intel chipset installation utility from your PC's support page, or the one I posted directly from Intel.

Great Paul, I think that settles my problem.  I have just a standard AHCI controller listed in Device Manager, so I will instll the Intel controller.

Doug

HP Recommended

Big Dave, thanks for your interesting replies, but my question was based on the HP Support Assistant software recommending installation of the IRST, which I now think is not requred given I have:

1.  AHCI set already

2.  No plans for a RAID setup

3.  An aversion to installig software that loads at boot, but little or no effect on my particulart setup.

4.  Paul's recommendation on installing an Intel controller.

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Check what HP has posted for your PC before making any conclusions.  Pay attention to the update comments.

If you go against HP's recommendations then you are on your own.  Good luck!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Doug.

I don't use the RST software on any of my HP business desktop PC's or notebooks with the drive controller set to AHCI.

I just make sure that the Intel SATA AHCI controller is properly named and is not listed as a Standard AHCI controller.

I think but am not 100% certain, that the proper description of the SATA AHCI controller for your platform would be the

Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller.

Just as long as the device listed under the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers device manager category is not listed as a Standard AHCI Controller after you install the Intel chipset installation utility.

If it is, let me know, and I will pull the driver out of the Intel RST package, and you can manually update it without the need to install the software.

I've done that many times in the past.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.