Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you are having hardware issues with your computer, please, Click here for more information.
HP Recommended

Hello everyone, 

I have a HP Pavilion Desktop - 550-356ng (Produkt:X0Y65EA, Serie [Personal Information Removed]) with one 128GB SSD and one 1TB HDD.

On my motherboard (Manufacturer name: Pegatron, HP/Compaq name: Odense, SSID: 2B47) I have an additional M.2 socket 1, key A. Is ist possible to add an additional SSD to the M.2 soket? And if so, what screws do I need for the motherboard listet above?

Thanks in advance 🙂

Franziska

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @NeumannFra 

You're very welcome.

The Upgrade and Servicing Guide shows two locations for storage devices.

It might be best to buy a larger 2.5 inch SATA SSD if you are running out of room on the 128 GB operating system drive. Or move data (documents, pictures, video, music, etc.) from the 128 GB SSD to the 1 TB HDD also installed in your PC.

Run Disk Cleanup on the 128 GB SSD to remove Windows Update files (select "Clean up system files"). This can remove many GBs of unneeded stuff.

You could clone or image the OS on the 128 GB drive to the new SSD. This would eliminate reinstalling the operating system on a new SSD.

Regards

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @NeumannFra 

Welcome to the HP Forum.

It would not be possible to install a M.2 Key M (NVME or SATA) or M.2 Key B (SATA) storage device in a M.2 Key A socket.

The M.2 Key A socket interface is reserved for: 2x PCIe x1/ USB 2.0/ 12C/ DP x4. 

HP uses the M.2 Key A socket for WIFI/ Bluetooth devices.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks for the fast reply 🙂

It's a pity I can't do that. But it makes perfect sense.
Is it then possible to use a second SSD in the place where the DVD drive currently is (which I don't use anyway)? Or do I have to replace my small SSD with a bigger one?

HP Recommended

Hi @NeumannFra 

You're very welcome.

The Upgrade and Servicing Guide shows two locations for storage devices.

It might be best to buy a larger 2.5 inch SATA SSD if you are running out of room on the 128 GB operating system drive. Or move data (documents, pictures, video, music, etc.) from the 128 GB SSD to the 1 TB HDD also installed in your PC.

Run Disk Cleanup on the 128 GB SSD to remove Windows Update files (select "Clean up system files"). This can remove many GBs of unneeded stuff.

You could clone or image the OS on the 128 GB drive to the new SSD. This would eliminate reinstalling the operating system on a new SSD.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thank you very much, that helps me a lot 🙂

Is there anything I need to consider when buying a larger SSD? Are there any brands that are not compatible? Specifically, I'm looking at the Samsung 870 EVO SATA III 2.5 inch SSD (MZ-77E1T0B/EU), 1 TB. Will that work?

HP Recommended

Hi @NeumannFra 

My pleasure.

Some HP PCs have problems with certain 2.5 inch SATA SSD drives. I don't know if your PC is in this category.

You might consider a HP 2.5 inch SATA SSD. Check Amazon or Newegg for options.

Regards

HP Recommended

Okay, thank you for answering all my questions and your patience 🙂

Have a nice evening!

HP Recommended

Hi @NeumannFra 

You are very welcome.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.