Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Slimline 260-p023d
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Slimline 260-p023d running on 4GB + 8GB RAM and Intel i5-6400T processor.  My work requires minimum of 16GB and that is bare minimum.  I plan to replace the 4GB RAM with a 16GB RAM, but have been told  that the maximum RAM I can add is only 8GB as the specification sheet of my desktop mentioned

- Supports 2GB,4GB, 8GB UDIMMs 

- Support up to 16GB (unbuffered) on 64-bit computer.

I went to a IT shop selling memory and was told Intel i5 can support 16GB memory chip.  So I will get 16GB + 8GB RAM (total 24GB) after upgrade.  

I am confused!  What is the RAM capacity that I can get to maximize the memory?

Thank you for reply to my query.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

PC's with the Intel core Skylake processors' memory slots should support a 16 GB memory module, despite what the HP specs indicate.

Below is the link to the Crucial memory report for a very similar model to yours and as you can see they indicate that 2 x 16 GB of memory is supported.

Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | hp - compaq | hp 260 series | HP Slimline 260-p025d | Crucial.com

Here are the HP specs for the above model...

HP Slimline Desktop - 260-p025d (ENERGY STAR) PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

PC's with the Intel core Skylake processors' memory slots should support a 16 GB memory module, despite what the HP specs indicate.

Below is the link to the Crucial memory report for a very similar model to yours and as you can see they indicate that 2 x 16 GB of memory is supported.

Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | hp - compaq | hp 260 series | HP Slimline 260-p025d | Crucial.com

Here are the HP specs for the above model...

HP Slimline Desktop - 260-p025d (ENERGY STAR) PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

Thank you Paul for the reply and information.  Much appreciated !

I also read that some PC may not be able to boot up if the memory exceed the specification.  Should I encounter that issue, is it as simple as changing back to the old RAM or more troubleshooting would then be required?  Sorry asking because I have limited IT knowledge.  Can anyone share if there ever encounter that problem and how to resolve it?

Thank you.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If for some reason a 16 GB chip doesn't work, then reinstalling the original memory will be fine.

I highly doubt that you will run into any issues with a 16 GB memory module.

HP Recommended

That's great. Thanks again for your reply. 

HP Recommended

the HP Quickspecs show that the motherboard is a "Hamir" and HP provides a link to the board specs which lists the supported ram HP has tested it with

https://support.hp.com/hk-en/document/c05228020

https://support.hp.com/hk-en/document/c05066299

• Dual channel memory architecture
  • Two DDR4 UDIMM (288-pin) sockets
  • Supports up to PC4-17000 (DRR4-2133)
  • Supports 2 GB, 4 GB, and 8 GB UDIMMs
  • Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems
    NOTE: 
    32-bit systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.
  • Supports up to 16 GB (unbuffered) on 64-bit computers

as Paul staed this board should also work using two 16GB dimms for 32GB total ram, and a quick check of the crucial website shows they make a 32GB ram kit for this model,..so it will officially support 16GB dimms

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/hp-slimline-260-p026

HP Recommended

Decided to use the weekend to put in the 16GB DDR4, and it works fine.

Thanks Paul and DGroves !

HP Recommended

Liking this HP Support Community !

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.