Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Desktop - 570-p054
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to add a 2nd Hard drive. The hard drive cage has physical mounting options for both a 3.5 HDD and a 2.5 HDD. I have used the Sata data cable that used to connect to the optical drive. I have used the Sata power daisy chain from the PSU to connect a 3.5 HDD and a 2.5 HDD. 

The issue I have encountered is that additional 2.5 HDD cannot be screwed into the physical mount on the drive cage. There is not enough room in the opening of the drive cage for the Sata power and data cables for both hard drives to fit at the same time. 

Here is a picture of the drive mount.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/170306i6A5439C1479E8235/image-size/large?v=1...

I don’t want to leave the 2.5 HDD loose within the PC. Is there a method/order/organization of the cables that will allow both hard drives to be physically mounted? 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello
if you have a 2.5 box, a 2.5 ssd must be possible ...
the problem is it because of the cables too short only?
Or can't you fix the SSD without cables at all either?
If the cables are too short, you should be able to find longer cables, or extensions
this is an example, see if it matches your own cables

https://www.amazon.fr/KALEA-INFORMATIQUE-%C2%A9-rallonges-Femelle-chacune/dp/B0040HBUVW/ref=sr_1_4?d...

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

The cable length is not the issue. 

I can and have connected both a 3.5 and 2.5 HDD. There is not enough room in the cutout for the Sata power and data cables. 

The 3.5 HDD is screwed in at the top. The Sata power and data cables are plugged in a cutout in the middle area of the vertical drive cage.  

The 2.5 HDD is meant to be screwed in at the bottom. However, the Sata power and data cables are meant to be  plugged in the same area in the middle as those of the 3.5 HDD. 

I can screw in the 2.5 HDD, but then am unable to connect the Sata data and power cables or I can connect the Sata data and power cables, but then can not screw in the 2.5 HDD. 

HP Recommended

Sorry I haven't been able to login to the forum for a while.
Do you still need help?

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Physical space limitations have led me to consider another option. I am considering an Optical Bay Hard Drive Caddy Tray for a  2.5" HDD. 

I think I need a 9.5mm version, not the 12.7mm version. I am not sure.

I have tested out the removal of the optical drive, but am unsure if and how to remove the optical drive decorative faceplate to swap out onto a Optical Bay Hard Drive Caddy.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.