Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
DC7900 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought 2x4GB pc2-6400 RAM sticks added them and they work. i kept the old 2x1gb in the other two slots which shows up as 10gb Ram.

However when I bought another 2x4GB sticks they did not work. I got 5 beeps and errors and no amount of changing them around helped. I presumed the sticks were faulty and sent them back.

I bought another two that came from a Dell and installed them. Same problem. 5 beeps etc. It did recognise 16GB ONCE but did not boot.

I have read that the theory is that this board does NOT except 4x4GB RAM and that it was a mistake in the manual.

So, can it be done or would i be better off changing to 4x2GB sticks?

Also would like to have 4 monitors but can not see how to upgrade the PSU. Is this also possible?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Funue , welcome to the forum.

Here is the Maintenance and Service Guide for the computer:  http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01516126

On Pages 18 thru 21 are instruction for populating the memory sockets.  The instructions state that you can use up to 16 GB of memory.  This means that HP expects you to be able to add 4 x 4.  Also, it gives the specifications for memory; including the timings that should be met.  Read these requirements carefully to assure that your new memory meets them.

Personally, I had a motherboard, DFI LanParty, that would not allow me to fill all of the sockets no matter how hard I tried.  So, this wouldn't be the first time I have heard of this happening.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.