Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion p7-1280t
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

How can I tell if my pc is compatible with adding a

GeForce GTX 950

I already installed a 500 Watt power supply.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I looked up your motherboard. Unless you've replaced the mobo (and I'm assuming you have not if you're posting here) you have a IPISB-CU (Carmel2) motherboard in that machine. The unfortunate news is that you will not be able to use a GTX 950 with this motherboard.

The reason? This bios on this motherboard is legacy and the newer graphics cards require UEFI. There is no update or fix for this from HP. Your option is to either find a graphics card that will run with a legacy bios or replace the motherboard.

I just came across this problem myself. I have an h8-1114 with the same motherboard. I purchased a GTX 960 FTW assuming that HP was providing updates for their hardware (bios). After hours on the phone with Nvidia we finally figured out it was the bios. And a call to Evga quickly confirmed it was the bios and there is no fix for it and HP isn't providing an update the problem.

Personally I'm working on a limited budget but the original video card that came with this machine isn't an option for me (it's been log ago given to my daughter for her machine to play Minecraft). I'm using an old GTX 260 we had laying around and can't play some of the games I enjoy because of it.

I will be replacing the mobo and will NEVER EVER again buy a pre-built computer.  HP has completely disgusted me with this machine. This is not the first issue I've had that would not have existed if I had built the machine myself.

Here's the mobo I've picked to replace HP's peice of garbage that should be compatable with all the other hardware you have (your RAM, CPU, etc.).  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008NA1K0S/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=MPPXIPPUEMIQ&colii...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I looked up your motherboard. Unless you've replaced the mobo (and I'm assuming you have not if you're posting here) you have a IPISB-CU (Carmel2) motherboard in that machine. The unfortunate news is that you will not be able to use a GTX 950 with this motherboard.

The reason? This bios on this motherboard is legacy and the newer graphics cards require UEFI. There is no update or fix for this from HP. Your option is to either find a graphics card that will run with a legacy bios or replace the motherboard.

I just came across this problem myself. I have an h8-1114 with the same motherboard. I purchased a GTX 960 FTW assuming that HP was providing updates for their hardware (bios). After hours on the phone with Nvidia we finally figured out it was the bios. And a call to Evga quickly confirmed it was the bios and there is no fix for it and HP isn't providing an update the problem.

Personally I'm working on a limited budget but the original video card that came with this machine isn't an option for me (it's been log ago given to my daughter for her machine to play Minecraft). I'm using an old GTX 260 we had laying around and can't play some of the games I enjoy because of it.

I will be replacing the mobo and will NEVER EVER again buy a pre-built computer.  HP has completely disgusted me with this machine. This is not the first issue I've had that would not have existed if I had built the machine myself.

Here's the mobo I've picked to replace HP's peice of garbage that should be compatable with all the other hardware you have (your RAM, CPU, etc.).  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008NA1K0S/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=MPPXIPPUEMIQ&colii...

HP Recommended

Your desktop is non-UEFI.

That means that you must ensure that the version that you purchase and install is legacy BIOS compatible.

A video card that is UEFI BIOS compatibly only will not be recognized as present by your pc's BIOS

Some manufacturers will specify that on their documentation on website for product specs and others will not.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.