Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Desktop PC - 880-112na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi All,

I would like to install an additional SSD to the top external drive bay on my desktop. I have a Crucial 1Tb SSD ready to install. This drive will be in addition to the SSD which holds the C: drive and windows operating system. The main reason I'm doing this is so I can hold all the game files for Digital Combat Simulator (DCS) in one place, it's a massive game (Two versions) and is too big for the C: drive and it's current home on the HDD is ok but too slow. So this will be an additional 3rd drive. I've looked at the HP videos but it only covers replacing a HDD in the top bay (It refers to it as external) not installing an SSD. The PDF help guides are also too basic and do not cover nor suggest mounting plates, screws etc. 

So do I need to pre-install anything on the SSD similar to it being a replacement dive, with the USB to SATA cable, or as it's a 3rd drive (Not cloning or replacing) is it plug and play?

I'm guessing it needs some kind of adaptor kit as the tray is for a 3.5 HDD any ideas which one?

Assuming the plug and play option, can I go ahead and then install any additional Crucial software before moving all the DCS files from the HDD to the 3rd SSD.

Many thanks in advance 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

hi

sorry, this seems compromised
I discussed this a while ago with another user..
it seemed simple, using a 3.5 2.5 box, as can be done internally..
but only the layout of the connectors makes it more complicated, the ssd could not be plugged in!
But normally, if I understood correctly, there is no question of removing it regularly, in this case, it must be possible to install it internally
I myself have an original m2 ssd
then a sata hdd of internal origin
then an internal crucial SSD
and a sata hdd in an upper external bay

but need to buy  sata câble , from memory no need adaptateur 2.5 inside
As for moving the files as I understand it, I don't know if it will work with crucial, I just made full clones..
the game if installed with steam origin or other, there are sometimes options to move the game files!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

You have the tampa2 motherboard and if the following picture I found on eBay is correct, then you have 5 slots available for SATA DEVICES

BeemerBiker_0-1664623125625.png

You will have to obtain an SATA data cable and use one of the SATA power connectors. If there are no power connectors available on your 500 watt power supply then you will have to obtain a spitter.

There are also right angle DATA both 90 and 270 degree right angle and on either cable end

BeemerBiker_1-1664623618969.png

Did you 2.5 sdd come with a 3.5 adapter?  It is also possible the 3.5 slot has mounting screw holes to mount a 2.5 in a 3.5 slot but I do not have your case so cannot tell.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community
I am a community volunteer and not work for HP.
If you find this post useful click the YES button
If I helped solve your problem please mark this as a solution.

HP Recommended

hi

sorry, this seems compromised
I discussed this a while ago with another user..
it seemed simple, using a 3.5 2.5 box, as can be done internally..
but only the layout of the connectors makes it more complicated, the ssd could not be plugged in!
But normally, if I understood correctly, there is no question of removing it regularly, in this case, it must be possible to install it internally
I myself have an original m2 ssd
then a sata hdd of internal origin
then an internal crucial SSD
and a sata hdd in an upper external bay

but need to buy  sata câble , from memory no need adaptateur 2.5 inside
As for moving the files as I understand it, I don't know if it will work with crucial, I just made full clones..
the game if installed with steam origin or other, there are sometimes options to move the game files!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. The bay is the one below:

Top drive.JPG

This is the mounting tray that comes out:

Drive bay tray.jpg

From what I understood (Could be wrong!) the connections at the base, where it plugs in already have cables connected to the Power supply etc? You can see the connections in the photo below, this is looking down into the PC tower with the mounting tray removed:

drive bay connections.jpg

HP Recommended

yes, personally I understand what you want, I know this model very well
but looked, once having removed the hdd support, at the bottom, the connectors are shifted!
and it doesn't fit many adapters, the ssd can't plug in!

but yes, it is normally ready to use

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

I've ordered a adaptor mount from Amazon which'll arrive tomorrow, hopefully it'll fit, or I can adjust it.

HP Recommended

Something you could try out but is only good free for 30 days, is PrimoCache

You could configure the cache to use a small space on the M.2 SSD and then tell it to speed up your larger HDD drive.

I used it on an Area51 for several years before replacing my C drive with a much bigger SSD.  I had to get permission from PrimoCache to move the software to my HP Z400 from the Dell due to their licensing.  It worked fine for me but obviously using a much bigger M.2 for the Windows "C" is superior plus the prices has dropped on the gen3 m.2

[edit]  I just notice the problem with the power & data

I got the following extensions when I had to hang a small SSD far away

BeemerBiker_0-1664643020685.png

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community
I am a community volunteer and not work for HP.
If you find this post useful click the YES button
If I helped solve your problem please mark this as a solution.

HP Recommended

That would be a good idea @BeemerBiker 
but you have to see the distance of the cable, and what will be available if the SSD is in place, in the compartment..
When you clip it all together, it's fair enough
the compartment being provided just for the hdd, so that it clips
if the cable is too long, and not enough space, it may bend, / be damaged
why i didn't talk about it

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_2518425-1381063-16

inside ok, for SSD without adaptateur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjA9HFoCGpQ

all parts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSH-f3hwvio

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

HI all,

For closure, I gave up on using the top bays. Once I had the SSD in my hands it was clear that the connections on the top bays were not compatible. So I opted for inside and successfully added it below the existing HDD as a second SSD, works great, thanks for all your advice. 

Now the next challenge, a new graphics card...

HP Recommended

hi

That's what I thought @ChrisUK27 
please mark the solution it may help other users

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.