Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

@Yawri --  would let me reinstall it back on the M.2 when a Windows update freezing things up again. Is that right? 

You are correct. I would not recommend any disk-cloning software that could only clone from "C:" to a spare disk-drive (or SSD or M2 or M.2 or NVME) but not clone from the "spare" device back to the "C:" volume.

It would be extremely stupid  to have any "backup" software that is not capable of "restore" from a backup.

HP Recommended

It’s taken me while to find the answers.

~2T SSD: I don’t have the 2TB SSD installed in the open bay yet. After I find one that is compatible with my PC, I’ll install one. If anyone knows a way to find this information, please let me know.

~GPT partition: I formatted the 1TB M.2 SSD that replaced the in the M.2 256 using the Windows Disk Management tool. The 1TB M.2 and the OEM 1TB HD still in its bay are both GPT partition. Should I have used MBR partition for the M.2 because it’s home of the OS?

~ Reset this PC: To reinstall Windows, I’ve always used the “Reset this PC” option. Could that be why I have the same bug as before the reinstall? (Cursor stops activation on hover. Have to start Task Manager for it to work again.)

~I think the rest of the instructions are for reformatting the old M.2 256 GB SSD for use in the PCI slot. IF that’s the case, I gather you don’t advise putting it in an SSD enclosure, plugging it in to a USB and subjecting it to Windows Disk Mgt reformatting.

HP Recommended

It’s taken me while to find the answers.
~2T SSD not installed: I don’t have the 2TB SSD installed in the open bay yet. After I find one that is compatible with my PC, I’ll install one. If anyone knows a way to find this information, please let me know.
~GPT partition: I formatted the 1TB M.2 SSD that replaced the in the M.2 256 using the Windows Disk Management tool. The 1TB M.2 and the OEM 1TB HD still in its bay are both GPT partition. Should I have used MBR partition for the M.2 because it’s home of the OS?
~ Reset this PC: To reinstall Windows, I’ve always used the “Reset this PC” option. Could that be why I have the same bug as before the reinstall? (Cursor stops activation on hover. Have to start Task Manager for it to work again.)
~I think the rest of the instructions are for reformatting the old M.2 256 GB SSD for use in the PCI slot. IF that’s the case, I gather you don’t advise putting it in an SSD enclosure, plugging it in to a USB and subjecting it to Windows Disk Mgt reformatting.

HP Recommended

Just listen: Resetting the PC is not an option.

The best way is to operate that system is to convert everything to GPT (UEFI-Mode)

Important: You can't prepare a GPT-Drive for Installation before you start the Setup !!!!!! (The reason is MSR) Most backuptools fail when you start a Recovery!!!!

So step by step

Run the setup (recommendet by MS Professionals) with 1 SSD 256 GB 

When you are ready come back.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.