Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 280 G2 (Pentium G4400 one)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So, I bought new GPU and Power Supply http://www.evolveo.eu/en/pulse-400w   - I know it's a cheap one, but I am a lot on budget. I have plugged that psu correctly (triplechecked), but pc doesn't react to turning on.  Then I tried it without GPU and still nothing, without HDD it's the same. DVD/CD reader is in trash. Tried disconnecting FANS too, just to make sure there is no short of power. Ended with no result.

Power supply is working, this is second piece, the first one was returned. I thought it was faulty. I did the test, fan inside power supply started rotating, which means it should be just fine and working. Then I plugged it into pc again. Same result. It does nothing.

I have put back the old one, and it works just fine (cables connected the same way), but I can't use my new GPU though. 

I know that the power supply is crap, but it must at least turn on. Is there some HP protection? Against third party parts? I cannot find another solution. I am so desperate. Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@michalluciak

I have myself replaced old PSUs in HP desktops with new ones and can confirm there is no hardware check that will prevent new PSUs from working.

So basically, you can use your old PSU and the PC boots, but not with the new video card.

And, with the new PSU, the PC does not boot -- regardless of the video card you use.

Correct?

Last PSU I bought had specs very similar to the one you bought, cost me $20, and worked just fine.

I do have a tool for testing PSUs, which I bought from MicroCenter -- which you can probably order online, if you want to spend the money to confirm the PSU is working.  It plugs into all of the different power leads from the PSU and confirms they are working properly.

The only obvious issues would be connecting all the pins from the 20-24 pin main power lead and also the 4-pin ATX lead -- but you sound like you know what you're doing, so you would have checked those connections.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@michalluciak

I have myself replaced old PSUs in HP desktops with new ones and can confirm there is no hardware check that will prevent new PSUs from working.

So basically, you can use your old PSU and the PC boots, but not with the new video card.

And, with the new PSU, the PC does not boot -- regardless of the video card you use.

Correct?

Last PSU I bought had specs very similar to the one you bought, cost me $20, and worked just fine.

I do have a tool for testing PSUs, which I bought from MicroCenter -- which you can probably order online, if you want to spend the money to confirm the PSU is working.  It plugs into all of the different power leads from the PSU and confirms they are working properly.

The only obvious issues would be connecting all the pins from the 20-24 pin main power lead and also the 4-pin ATX lead -- but you sound like you know what you're doing, so you would have checked those connections.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Everything is just fine now. I bought quality PSU, and now everything is ok. Works pretty much.

If somebody had same issue, Corsair power supply will work for sure.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.