Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion p7-1240
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Looking for real life experience with p7-1240 desktop upgrated with GTX 1050, GTX 1050 Ti, or GTX 750 Ti.

If I attempt the installation of one of these gpu's, would I run into issues?  This computer was built in May 2012.

Also, will their be any cooling/ventilation issues with this uATX tower when I replace 300-watt 4-yr old psu with 450 to 550 80 Plus Bronze to Gold watt psu?

Will I even see a difference is performance - I mainly surf the internet researching, email, play installed Bejeweled 3, Sudoku and SolSuite Solitaire?

Only change from stock is 240-GB PNY CS1311 ssd.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Johnnierbsr, welcome to the forum.

@Johnnierbsr wrote:

Looking for real life experience with p7-1240 desktop upgrated with GTX 1050, GTX 1050 Ti, or GTX 750 Ti.

If I attempt the installation of one of these gpu's, would I run into issues?  This computer was built in May 2012.  None of the video cards will work in your motherboard.  They require UEFI in the motherboard instead of a Legacy BIOS.  The last video cards not to require UEFI were the GTX 660/670 series.  Your best option is to choose a manufacturer and contact their Tech Support for help with choosing the best video card for your system.  It is getting more difficult all of the time to determine which newer components will work with older computers.  Believe it or not, a computer that is 4 years old is older in today's market.  A discrete video card will definitely increase system performance.

Also, will their be any cooling/ventilation issues with this uATX tower when I replace 300-watt 4-yr old psu with 450 to 550 80 Plus Bronze to Gold watt psu?  You will most likely have to upgrade the PSU, also.  Most newer cards require a minimum of 400W to operate properly.  A new PSU will not present you with any problems.

Will I even see a difference is performance - I mainly surf the internet researching, email, play installed Bejeweled 3, Sudoku and SolSuite Solitaire?  The short answer is, Yes!

Only change from stock is 240-GB PNY CS1311 ssd.  This is the best upgrade that you could have made.  I will never have another computer without a SSD boot drive.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Johnnierbsr, welcome to the forum.

@Johnnierbsr wrote:

If I attempt the installation of one of these gpu's, would I run into issues?  This computer was built in May 2012.  None of the video cards will work in your motherboard.  They require UEFI in the motherboard instead of a Legacy BIOS.  The last video cards not to require UEFI were the GTX 660/670 series.  Your best option is to choose a manufacturer and contact their Tech Support for help with choosing the best video card for your system.  It is getting more difficult all of the time to determine which newer components will work with older computers.  Believe it or not, a computer that is 4 years old is older in today's market.  A discrete video card will definitely increase system performance.

Also, will their be any cooling/ventilation issues with this uATX tower when I replace 300-watt 4-yr old psu with 450 to 550 80 Plus Bronze to Gold watt psu?  You will most likely have to upgrade the PSU, also.  Most newer cards require a minimum of 400W to operate properly.  A new PSU will not present you with any problems.

Will I even see a difference is performance - I mainly surf the internet researching, email, play installed Bejeweled 3, Sudoku and SolSuite Solitaire?  The short answer is, Yes!

Only change from stock is 240-GB PNY CS1311 ssd.  This is the best upgrade that you could have made.  I will never have another computer without a SSD boot drive.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

I thought I read something on a forum that MSI has a version of GTX 750 Ti that has a switch UEFI or Legacy.  Can anyone confirm?  Also that my motherboard MSI MS-7778 (Jasper) build AFTER my desktop was constructed had UEFI.

Nvidia advised me that any of these three gpu's would work after they checked on desktop specs.  BUT, they did not mention the UEFI issues.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @Johnnierbsr.

@Johnnierbsr wrote:

I thought I read something on a forum that MSI has a version of GTX 750 Ti that has a switch UEFI or Legacy.  Can anyone confirm?  Also that my motherboard MSI MS-7778 (Jasmine) build AFTER my desktop was constructed had UEFI.  HP didn't begin using UEFI until mid-October, 2012.  The computer has to be running Win 8.  MSI does have a GTX 750 with a switch.  However, this doesn't necessarily mean that it will work.  This is why I recommended that you contact the manufacturer's Tech Support for help.

Nvidia advised me that any of these three gpu's would work after they checked on desktop specs.  BUT, they did not mention the UEFI issues.  I would contact EVGA's Tech Support (1-888-881-3842) to see what they have to say about their cards.  Nvidia makes the cards, but each manufacturer adds their own touches.

HP Recommended

Thanks, I'll do that.  With MSI I can get to their tech support.

HP Recommended
MS-7778 confirms works with MSI GTX 1050 ti 4GT

Mine is HP 500 164
amd a8 6500
24 GB RAM
4 TB HDD
GTX 1050 ti 4GT upgraded from pny GTX 760
HP Recommended
Also my PSU is 800 in case that helps but you will be fine with anything 400 or more if you decide to use the 1050
HP Recommended

nodoubt711 - When was your MS-7778 made.  Mine was Aoril 2012, before UEFI.

HP Recommended
My HP 500 164 had a release date of 14-Sep-2013
HP Recommended

You're lucky.  Mine MS-7778 is older than dirt and could not locate any UEFI bios update.  HP probably wants me to buy another desktop.   4 1/2 yrs old is beyond the point of build-in obsoletions (sic).  I've being "day dreaming", doing mock desktop builds on pcpartpicker.  Until I hit lottery, I'm just out-of-luck.

Enjoy youyr upgrades, I'm jealous.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.