Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq Elite 8300
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Ok So i Picked up ones of these from a local collage Surpluse and have been tickled with how well it works! Currently using this as a media pc and am looking to put in a bigger graphics card if possible.

This System has Intel's I5 - 3470 Cpu, I bumped it up to 8 gigs memory and 3 tb of storage, I was looking at the PSU for this system and see that it is a propritary 320w PSU from HP. Currently it has no power issues but i know that i cannot run a decent card that requires a 6 pin power connector.

I am wondering if anyone know if HP has any other power supplys for this chassie, Looking for something bigger and (crossing Fingers) has 6pin support for a GPU. 

Or at the least something bigger than a 320 that i can use a mulex to 6 pin adapter.

I smell a low/cheap end Gaming Rig if i am able to pull this off. More for my son and wanting to tryout minecraft and maybe some csgo for me.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Daermos, welcome to the forum.

Which model is your computer, AIO, Ultra-slim, Small Form Factor, Convertible Microtower or Microtower?

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended
@old_geekster when ever I type in the info it kicks back

HP Compaq Elite 8300 Base Model Convertible Minitower PC, with looking at it I can fit a standard ATX psu in place of hps proprietary 320w.

Sadly with HPs its not as simple as swapping
HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @Daermos.

Unfortunately, HP doesn't provide a lot of information on upgrading the PSU.  If I remember correctly, the power connector is not a standard ATX 24-pin.  This makes it more difficult.  I suggest that you contact one of the PSU manufacturers to see if they have an upgrade that will work.  I haven't been able to find a replacement.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

@Daermos,

The @old_geekster was correct. The problem is that you can not upgrade this circa 2009 machine with newer graphic cards.

At least your asking before spending the $$$

(1)  The 8300 MT only has a 320W PSU. The motherboard power is via what I like to call "6x4" headers.  The normal ATX 20/24 pin PSU will not work.  There were some adapters (in the UK), but the source is now vague.

(2) 8300's have been around since XP, so you might have a BIOS issue.

(3) Newer graphic cards expect a version 8 BIOS.

(4) The graphic slot is PCIE x 2, and only 75W.

Open up the RUN command and enter: MSINFO32

If your PC is not running a HP version 8 BIOS then the NVIDIA GTX 7xx or 9xx series graphics cards (or newer)  are not going to work in your PC.  If your PC has a version 8 BIOS then review the below articles. The same information applies to Windows 10.

HP Secure Boot Windows 8 Topics   Computer Does not Start After Installing a Video Card (Windows 😎

But remember, you still need to find a low power card.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended
@wb2001 thanks for the info but not sure it helps telling me if hp has a larger psu option.

Yes it has Version 8, has 3rd Gen I.

@old_geekster Thank you so much for the research/digging that you have done! After doing some digging around, HP uses AYA connections to supply power to Motherboard.

Well apparently someone has gone threw this, Amazon sells an adapter that covers AYA To ATX.

AYA 12" (12 Inch) ATX Main 24-Pin to 6-Pin PCI-E PSU Power Adapter Cable 18AWG for HP Z220/Z230, Elite 8000, 8100, 8200, 8300, HP 800 G1, HP Compaq 6200 Pro MT https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NAHMULC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_8p5zBbE6286B4
HP Recommended
OK so sadly the adapter is a bust, got one and gave it a shot. System would not only not boot but had the psu fan constantly running and hard drives would just click.

Like an old car just would not do a full crank to run.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.