Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavillion 590-p0024
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello all. I heard the news that AMD will be releasing new Ryzen 3000 processors. I want to upgrade my Ryzen 3 2200g to a Ryzen 3 3300g, however, I heard that you need a special BIOS update in order to support the new processors. Currently I have F.31 Rev. A on a B350 motherboard. Will I be able to use Ryzen 3000 processors with this update? If not, is HP working on a BIOS update that brings support for these processors? I want to upgrade, and it would be a bummer not to be able to use these processors. I cannot afford a new motherboard due to budget restrictions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

First let me state - OEM's do not typically issue updates with the idea of allowing newer CPU's on existing equipment as the retail motherboards might do.  OEM updates are aimed at making the PC work as intended with the hardware it was built for, so the updates are to correct a problem that has been discovered.  That is typical of most/all OEM's, whether HP or others.

Retail boards may or may not get a BIOS update to run the new generation AMD Ryzen on a B350 motherboard, since that is an older generation motherboard.  It will be up to the motherboard retailer, so I do not expect HP to be inclined to do that, either.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

First let me state - OEM's do not typically issue updates with the idea of allowing newer CPU's on existing equipment as the retail motherboards might do.  OEM updates are aimed at making the PC work as intended with the hardware it was built for, so the updates are to correct a problem that has been discovered.  That is typical of most/all OEM's, whether HP or others.

Retail boards may or may not get a BIOS update to run the new generation AMD Ryzen on a B350 motherboard, since that is an older generation motherboard.  It will be up to the motherboard retailer, so I do not expect HP to be inclined to do that, either.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thank you for telling me. I did not understand that was how it worked. You've helped to answer all of my questions. I understand now that it's mostly retail boards that get the update, not OEM equipment.

HP Recommended

Glad to help.  I think many users are expecting OEM's to be similar to retails, in regards to updates.

If, they do update the BIOS for those new Ryzens, that would be a bonus, but do not expect it. 

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

they wouldnt update it anyway, as they cant b350 boards dont have enough onboard memory to support thre newer bios so b450 up will get the updates nothing under 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.