Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen 880-P1xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm trying to update my BIOS to F.40 from F.22 and it continually fails when either manually downloading or installing from HP Assistant (even the new Assistant).  I'm on Windows 10-1809 and fully patched.  The BIOS  install runs as expected and then tells me a Restart is needed (obviously to write to the BIOS pre-boot), however upon restart a pre-boot screen comes up and says the Update Failed and counts down from 15 at which point the OS starts normally.  There was another BIOS update prior to this which also failed.  I've blown it off for a while but am curious why it's failing?  I've tried turning off Secure Boot, turned on Legacy Mode and even have Bitlocker disabled - but nothing seems to allow the BIOS to update.

Any help would be appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@McKinneyFitz,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Please let me know the exact model and the product number of your computer and I will send the link to download the BIOS for your computer.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response.  I will be happy to update the post as suggested if it works.  My device reported from Support Assistant is "Omen by HP Desktop PC 880-p1xx"  Product Number: 2TB61AV

System Board: 8437.1.3

System BIOS F.22

For the record, the download is for ROM Family SSID 8437.  Softpaq sp93286 Version F.40.

I'm running Windows 10 PRO with a Samsung 970EVO  NVME M.2 drive for my main OS drive and a Samsung 860Pro as a data drive.  I've also put the original drive in the hot swap bay.  

HP Recommended

@McKinneyFitz,

I recommend you install the BIOS from the below link and then install the BIOS F.40 and check if it helps.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp91501-92000/sp91906.exe

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I really appreciate the follow up, but that is the file that I've been downloading and it fails each time.  Bitlocker is NOT turned on.  I'm beginning to wonder if it's because I've installed an M.2 nVME drive as the system OS (Samsung 970).   On pre-boot installation the error is:

HP BIOS Update

The System BIOS update failed.

Unable to open BIOS Image file.

HP Recommended

@McKinneyFitz,

Yes, that could be a possibility.

I recommend you follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

NOTE: Follow the steps under Update the BIOS when Windows does not start.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.