Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Compaq dc5800
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a compaq dc 5800 desktop.Yesterday I got a PCIe graphics card from a friend.It worked fine in his system.But when I plugged it in to my system the monitor showed no signal message.Then I plugged the vga cable to the onboard (motherboards) port.Then it worked alright,even the OS had completely booted up showing login screen.

Then I reset the BIOS settings by pressing the button on the board then the PCIe graphics card worked.System was doing a full boot.After that I installed all the drivers and even played some games.(not very high demanding ones,very old ones like COD4 MW1).

Then I switched it off and turned it on later,the problem persists.Reset the BIOS it was working again.

Why is that?? Is there some sort of a setting that needs to be set before using PCIe graphics card? or the power supply isn't enough for the card??

The card is a GIGABYTE GV-NX86T512H nVidia Geforce 8600 model.

Please help.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

Did you first uninstall the Intel graphics adapter and driver in the device manager before installing the video card?

If not you need to.

So, remove the video card again, fire it up with the onboard Intel graphics.

Go to the device manager, click to expand the Display Adapters device manager category.

Right click on the Intel graphics adapter listed there, select Uninstall, and check the uninstall driver box.

Do not restart the PC.  Instead, shut it down, unplug it and connect your video card.

There are no BIOS settings to change when installing a PCIe x16 video card.

The onboard video is automatically disabled when a PCIe x16 video card is installed, but if you have the old video drivers still installed, that is usually the reason for the issue you are having.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.