Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavillion 23
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Windows tech (10th in series working on problem but creating more problems) today was the first to tell me my BIOS version was out of date. I think 2012. He installed something more recent but far from current (2014).
Said he was unable to install newer ones and said they have to be done sequentially (i.e., can't just go to most recent).
Advised me to contact HP.  HP wants to charge me $$ to update BIOS.  Frankly, I'm ready to ditch this whole thing and get a MAc system.
I tried to use the HP assistant or whatever to do the BIOS update myself.  No go.  I'm pretty computer illiterate. If I ever fix something it's by accident.
I need a real step by step.  

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello
sorry i don't understand everything
But you can use your computer, for a very long time, without the bios being updated
There may not be other updates for this model, in which case you don't have to worry.

this is a recorded response (macro))
we need the exact model of your computer, and the product number
To find it follow this
for a desktop computer

HP Desktop PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number? | HP® Customer Support

and for a laptop:

HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Product Name or Number? | HP® Customer Support

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

To re-cap: 2 months of issues with HP 23-pavillion using Windows 10. Issues have varied from frozen to constant intrusive full screen ads,  This occurred whenever I clicked on a link.  That was fixed. Was told Microsoft Edge was corrupted.  Every week something else malfunctioned.   Numerous remote access encounters with Microsoft techs. Yesterday's tech said my BIOS out of date, he tried to get to current version by installing other versions sequentially but encountered difficulties; referred me to HP support. I followed instructions as best I could but unable to update to current BIOS version.
Product # G4B31AA#ABA.

There ARE, according to the Microsoft tech, other updates for this computer (I think the latest one he had up on screen was from 2018. The one I have now is 80.09 which is 2014.

My warranty is out (2015).  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.