Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
dc5800 desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I only have Windows 10 on this old computer and an old BIOS version.

Is it at all possible to update this BIOS with Windows 10 installed?

My current BIOS = 786F2 v01.04

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can update the BIOS, but don't update it in Windows.

Do it like this...

Download and run the latest BIOS update for your PC from the link below.

v01.60   Nov 27, 2015

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp73501-74000/sp73863.exe

An information page will open.

Read and follow the instructions to update the BIOS using the F10 Setup BIOS Flashing Method.

F10 Setup BIOS Flashing
The HP Business Desktop system supported by this softpaq provides a BIOS upgrade option through F10 setup using the "Flash System ROM" feature. Reboot the PC and press F10 to enter setup. In the File menu, select the "Flash System ROM" item. This flash utility will present the user with the option to select the media containing the BIOS image file (XXX_MMmm.bin). The binary image file is contained in the DOS Flash directory and is named XXX_MMmm.bin where "XXX" is the abbreviated BIOS family, "MM" is the major version number, and "mm" is the minor version number. F10 ROM based flash can accept the binary file from the root directory of any removable media such as USB or legacy floppy diskette. The user is prompted when the process is completed. The new BIOS code will not take effect until the PC is rebooted.
View Contents of DOS Flash Folder

Here is a summary of what you need to do...

Get a USB flash drive.  Format it with the FAT32 file system.

At the bottom of the F10 Setup BIOS Flashing instructions, click on the View Contents of DOS Flash Folder.

The DOS Flash file folder will open.

Copy the file contents of the DOS Flash Folder to your USB flash drive.  Just the files, not the folder.

Restart the PC.  Tap the F10 key to get to the BIOS setup menu.

Select the File tab>Flash System ROM command.

Select the USB flash drive.

The PC should now 'see' the BIOS update files on the flash drive.

Follow the on screen instructions to update the BIOS.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can update the BIOS, but don't update it in Windows.

Do it like this...

Download and run the latest BIOS update for your PC from the link below.

v01.60   Nov 27, 2015

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp73501-74000/sp73863.exe

An information page will open.

Read and follow the instructions to update the BIOS using the F10 Setup BIOS Flashing Method.

F10 Setup BIOS Flashing
The HP Business Desktop system supported by this softpaq provides a BIOS upgrade option through F10 setup using the "Flash System ROM" feature. Reboot the PC and press F10 to enter setup. In the File menu, select the "Flash System ROM" item. This flash utility will present the user with the option to select the media containing the BIOS image file (XXX_MMmm.bin). The binary image file is contained in the DOS Flash directory and is named XXX_MMmm.bin where "XXX" is the abbreviated BIOS family, "MM" is the major version number, and "mm" is the minor version number. F10 ROM based flash can accept the binary file from the root directory of any removable media such as USB or legacy floppy diskette. The user is prompted when the process is completed. The new BIOS code will not take effect until the PC is rebooted.
View Contents of DOS Flash Folder

Here is a summary of what you need to do...

Get a USB flash drive.  Format it with the FAT32 file system.

At the bottom of the F10 Setup BIOS Flashing instructions, click on the View Contents of DOS Flash Folder.

The DOS Flash file folder will open.

Copy the file contents of the DOS Flash Folder to your USB flash drive.  Just the files, not the folder.

Restart the PC.  Tap the F10 key to get to the BIOS setup menu.

Select the File tab>Flash System ROM command.

Select the USB flash drive.

The PC should now 'see' the BIOS update files on the flash drive.

Follow the on screen instructions to update the BIOS.

HP Recommended

Thanks much. The BIOS is now updated. Can you recommend any more updates for this old computer?

So far all I've done is install 8GB ram.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The only other thing you may want to do is add a video card.

The AMD Radeon HD 6450 is still available and affordable, and should work fine with your PC whether you have the SFF or MT.

Check to see if that BIOS update added support for AHCI or RAID in the BIOS (If the setting exists, it would be under the Storage tab).

If it did, you may want to consider swapping out the HDD for a solid state drive(SSD).

You will also need a 3.5" to 2.5" adapter bracket if you want to add a SSD.

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen wrote:

You're very welcome.

The AMD Radeon HD 6450 is still available and affordable, and should work fine with your PC whether you have the SFF or MT.

@Paul_Tikkanen wrote:

You're very welcome.

Check to see if that BIOS update added support for AHCI or RAID in the BIOS (If the setting exists, it would be under the Storage tab).

If it did, you may want to consider swapping out the HDD for a solid state drive(SSD).

"Check to see if that BIOS update added support for AHCI or RAID in the BIOS (If the setting exists, it would be under the Storage tab)."

Thank you sir.

How do I..... "Check to see if that BIOS update added support for AHCI or RAID in the BIOS (If the setting exists, it would be under the Storage tab)."?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Restart the PC, tap the F10 key to get access to the BIOS setup menu.

There should be a storage tab at the top of the screen.  Open that menu and look around to see what settings there are.

I think that model only has support for IDE mode but maybe the BIOS updated added RAID and/or AHCI.

If there is no storage controller setting, then the BIOS is set to IDE mode and can't be changed.

If there are no other drive controller settings, then you probably don't want to waste your money installing a solid state driver because they won't perform that great in IDE mode.

HP Recommended

Okay in BIOS, under storage options, all I can see is:

Removable media boot

Legacy diskette write

DPS Self-test

Boot Order

There was nothing anywhere that refered to IDE or RAID or AHCI.

Do you think that an SSD would give any improvement at all?

The cost would be only about $30 to purchace.

I have had a NVIDIA GeForce 210 installed for a few years. It also provides audio.

Should I disable "onboard audio"  in BIOS?

HP Recommended

That's too bad.

Yes, a SSD will work better than the mechanical hard drive you have now, but I don't know if there is TRIM support in IDE mode.

If there isn't, your SSD will get clogged with junk files since it can't TRIM itself.

But yeah, $30 bucks is not that big of a risk.

I have 4 of these...two in my HP desktops and two in my HP notebooks.  Works great.

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-240GB-Solid-State-SDSSDA-240G-G26/dp/B01F9G43WU

I have one of them in the dc7800 which is the upscale model of yours, but mine has the BIOS settings for IDE, RAID and AHCI.

If you already have a graphics card, the 210 is about the same as the HD 6450, so I wouldn't bother.

If you are using the graphics card to provide sound, you can disable the onboard audio if you want.

That's up to you.

I have it enabled on my dc7800 because I have speakers plugged into the audio jack.

BTW, the W7 audio driver works better than the one W10 installs.

HP Recommended

Thanks. Looked at the link you sent for SSD drive on Amazon. Will that model work okay in my dc5800?

They weren't sure about it.

Also I have 4GB DDR2 (4pcs of the 1GB DDR2).

Should I give them to a computer store or are they worthless?

I don't think I will need them for anything.

Would upgrading my CPU be worthwhile on this machine?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That model drive should work in your dc5800, as it works in my dc7800.

This is the adapter I bought...

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817997037

I did have to dremel the thin crossbar off (the bar showing at the top of the illustration), so I could connect the data and power cables to keep them from bending the cables too much.

If you don't have a dremel tool, you can probably use a hacksaw or strong pair of metal cutters.

I'm sure your local PC repair shop would be happy to take the extra 1 GB memory chips off your hands.

I donate old stuff locally all the time.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.