Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 500-214
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I just recently installed additional memory to my desktop and originally had the issue of not getting all possible usable out of it. It currently has 16GB installed but only 7.19GB usable. I've already gone through a bunch of possible solutions and my last resort was to update the BIOS. Now the issue is that it wont update, I get the message "The System SSID is not match the SoftPAQ SSID." 

My current version of BIOS is 80.46 (10/03/2013) and the new version I need is 80.23 (7/28/2016).

If you need any other information, let me know.

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

The 80.23 BIOS update SSID is 2AF7. Your MB SSID is 2AE0.

BIOS version 80.23 was not compiled for your specific MB. There is no 2AE0 Bios update for your MB.

HP shipped your PC with 8 GB of memory. How much memory was usable before adding memory?

AMD does allocate system RAM to video RAM for onboard graphics. But you are seeing no additional system RAM after adding an additional 8 GB of RAM.

Remove the factory memory. Install the new RAM in the memory slots used by the factory memory.

Does the PC POST using only the new RAM?

Regards

HP Recommended

Thank you for replying so fast!!

thats good to know about the BIOS and with the memory, I had 8gb total and 7.19 usable. When I put two brand new ones in, replacing the factory one, I had 16 and still 7.19 usable. Using 2 8gb memory sticks

HP Recommended

Hi Matth27,

You're very welcome.

I had a feeling the new memory was not being detected by the motherboard (MB).

The new memory could be bad or incompatible.

Some memory slots or the MB memory controller could be faulty.

You could try reseating the new memory modules.

Or try the first suggestion in the previous post to see if the new memory modules are detected by the MB when they are installed in the memory slots HP used at the factory. The memory slots HP used at the factory are good. The memory may be faulty or incompatible if it is not detected.

Then install the HP memory modules in the remaining memory sockets if the new memory works in the memory slots HP used at the factory.

The same result (7.19 GB usable memory) may mean the sockets now occupied by HP memory are faulty or you have a problem with the memory controller on the MB. You know the HP memory modules are good.

Regards

HP Recommended

I believe they are being detected because it does recognize there is now 16gb of the new memory, after replacing the one that came with the desktop. I put one of the new ones in where the original was and another in the same channel. My desktop has the blue black blue black configuration. So i have both of the new ones in the blue. Also if this helps in anyway, a majority of the remaining memory is being put into hardware reserved as shown in the picture. And I have tried going through solutions to fix it such as unchecking the maximum memory box in msconfig. I don't know a lot about computers so i apologize if I'm not getting what you are sayingMemory issue.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry, did not carefully read your reply.

You removed the HP memory. What did HP install? Two 4 GB modules. What memory slots did HP use, the blue or the black slots?

You installed two new 8 GB memory modules. Install the new modules in the slots HP used at the factory.

Are you using the blue or black memory slots. Most newer MBs require using the same colored slots.

Your MB should be populated first using the blue memory slots when using two sticks of memory if HP is following industry standards. But this can vary by MB manufacturer.

Regards

HP Recommended

The computer came with one 8gb module in the outer blue slot. so replaced that one with 2 8gb modules and they are both in blue slots. Just out of curiosity, I did try them both in the black spots, but the pc didn't start up, so I have them both back in the blue slots

HP Recommended

Hi Matth27

What do you see in Control Panel, System, Installed Memory?

It should show 16 GB.

Here is an image of my System Properties:

System.PNG

Regards

HP Recommended

yup I see 16

HP Recommended

Hi Matth27,

Then you are okay. But your PC is only showing usable memory at 7.19 GB. I don't believe there are any BIOS settings to fix this.

AMD systems use a lot of memory for video but the amount your system is consuming is very high. 

I don't know why this is happening.

The first memory usage report you posted shows how Windows is using the installed memory:

Cached

In Use

Standby

Available

Hardware Reserved is 9019 MB. This is extremely high.

It did show 16384 MB installed at the bottom of the report.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.