Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN 30L Desktop GT13-0972nz
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Product Number: 2W9K6EA#UUZ

I've purchased an Corsair Force MP510 (4TB) and tried to install it in the second SSD slot of my OMEN 30L. After starting I get a BSOD (Kernel Security Check Failure). Auto-Repair didn't help.
I've installed the new SSD in my previous PC before to move some Data. This worked fine, but on the OMEN PC I get a BSOD.

I can't find information to what's supported by this Mainboard, checked all available User Manuals. I hope that's not the reason, would be quite disappointing to see that my new PC can't manage an SSD my three Years old PC/Mainboard can.

Does anyone have an idea?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks again.

The SSD is not faulty as it worked fine on my older PC. Contacted HP Support meanwhile which did not officially support third-party parts.

After several attempts I ditched the 1 TB SSD which was delivered with the Omen 30L and then proceeded to use my old 960 pro 500GB SSD for Windows reinstallation. And then voila the 4 TB SSD was recognized just fine. 

Now I have to take care of the problem that my Ethernet is 10x slower than Wifi. It really was a disappointing journey with this pre-built System. Hopefully next time the market for graphics card does not force me again to buy pre-built Configurations.

But again, many thanks to you for trying to help!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Tobooo , welcome to the Community.

Here is the Product Specifications for the computer: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-desktop-pc-30l-gt13-0000i/33492325/document/c06990162

If you look at the Motherboard Specifications, in the section titled "Expansion slots", this is what it states: Two M.2 socket 3, key M (for SSD card PCIe x4 Gen 3).

The M.2 should be compatible with the motherboard.  Your problem is caused by the fact that Windows 10 only recognizes 2 TB without the drive being formatted as GUID partition table (GPT): https://www.diskpart.com/articles/windows-10-4tb-hard-drive-3889.html

The article in my link with explain it to you better than I can.  It is an ad for AOMEI, which is a great app.  I use it all of the time (FREE version).

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply! 

The SSD has indeed been formatted with GPT on my older Computer, which recognized it as 4 TB. Funny thing is also the OMEN PC recognized the 4 TB when running System Diagnostics (before Bios-Startup). 

The real problem is not the recognized size of the SSD. The issue is that when I use this SSD on my older PC it boots just fine to Windows. Using the same SSD on my OMEN PC I get a Blue Screen (Security Kernel Check Failure). Do you have an Idea why that could be?

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Tobooo!

@Tobooo wrote:

Thanks for your reply! 

The SSD has indeed been formatted with GPT on my older Computer, which recognized it as 4 TB. Funny thing is also the OMEN PC recognized the 4 TB when running System Diagnostics (before Bios-Startup). 

The real problem is not the recognized size of the SSD. The issue is that when I use this SSD on my older PC it boots just fine to Windows. Using the same SSD on my OMEN PC I get a Blue Screen (Security Kernel Check Failure). Do you have an Idea why that could be?

No, I am sorry to say I don't know what would cause the difference.  I believe that it is time to contact the manufacturer's Tech Support for help.  They are the experts on their products.  They should be able to help you solve the problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks again.

The SSD is not faulty as it worked fine on my older PC. Contacted HP Support meanwhile which did not officially support third-party parts.

After several attempts I ditched the 1 TB SSD which was delivered with the Omen 30L and then proceeded to use my old 960 pro 500GB SSD for Windows reinstallation. And then voila the 4 TB SSD was recognized just fine. 

Now I have to take care of the problem that my Ethernet is 10x slower than Wifi. It really was a disappointing journey with this pre-built System. Hopefully next time the market for graphics card does not force me again to buy pre-built Configurations.

But again, many thanks to you for trying to help!

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Tobooo!

This type of problem is very difficult to diagnose.  There are so many variants.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.