Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavillion 570-p040nd desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

On my old computer i had an external 'H' disc connected for backup purposes. I want to use this again. I can open en read this disc. And i can find all my old files. but i cannot connect this disc for backup. It cannot find the disc for this purpose in the backup settings and cannot add it. It is an WD external HDD 1021 usb device. I can find the disc on the computer and access it. 
Is it possible to use it for backup again?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Henkie1001,

Okay, have you installed the latest software and driver for your drive?  It should be on WD's website.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Henkie1001 , welcome to the forum.

You should go into the Disk Management (right click on the Windows logo in the left bottom corner and select Disk Management) to see if the drive is recognized.  If it is, you should right click on it and select "Mark Partition as Active".  This should allow you to use the drive for backup.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately this did not help. Disc was visible. Said it is status is ok. and i cannot make it active. I think because it already is. ?Sepictattached.

HP Recommended

@Henkie1001,

Okay, have you installed the latest software and driver for your drive?  It should be on WD's website.

HP Recommended

When I checked for the latest driver (i did before) the answer was: drivers are ok en best version installed. 
But because of your advice, i decided to update anyway. And that helped. apparently it was a driver problem. Updating manually solved the problem. Everything is working again. 

HP Recommended

@Henkie1001,

I am glad that your problem is solved.  It is surprising how many problems can be solved by a driver update.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.