Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Example: PAVILION p7-1074
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Why is my desk top making I short beep followed by a 1 long beep, then repeats and won't boot uo?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You are welcome, @ApolloEagle!

The DDR3L is normally used in mobile devices, but it is backward compatible with DD3 modules.  I am beginning to believe that you may have a motherboard problem since the computer is 10 years old.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@ApolloEagle , welcome to the Community.

@ApolloEagle wrote:

Why is my desk top making I short beep followed by a 1 long beep, then repeats and won't boot uo?

The beep code that you describe means that you have a memory problem.  If you have more than one module you can remove all or them and replace them one at a time in the slot closest to the processor.  Then, you should try to boot your computer.  It is more difficult to diagnose the problem if you only have one module.  The only thing that you can do is replace it.

Here is a guide that should help you.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Thx you for your response. I tried single sticks and both ended with same beep pattern.  I purchased and replaced the 2x4GB sticks with 2x8GB sticks. Both new ones in and same beep pattern.  I then pulled out all ram and turned on compute and same beep pattern with out the ram in.

I looked at ram I purchased and noticed old ones were DDR3 and new ones were DDR3L. Could that be the cause, incorrect ram?

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @ApolloEagle!

The DDR3L is normally used in mobile devices, but it is backward compatible with DD3 modules.  I am beginning to believe that you may have a motherboard problem since the computer is 10 years old.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.