Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteDesk 800 G6 Desktop Mini PC (8WY20AV)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I am trying to add a second M.2 drive to my HP EliteDesk 800 G6 Mini PC but neither the bios nor Windows 10 sees M.2 SSD 2 port/drive.  My system specs configuration are below.  

Specs:

• HP EliteDesk 800 G6 Desktop Mini i5-10500 3.1GHz, Cache 12MB
  • CPU:  i5-10500 3.1GHz
  • RAM:  16MB Kinston 2667MHz
  • BIOS Version:  S21 Ver 02.10.00
  • BIOS Release Date:  01/10/2022
  • ME Firmware Version:  14.1.60.1807
  • M.1 HP 256GB
  • M.2 Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB
  • SATA0 PNY 125GB SSD

Trouble Shooting I have Tried

1. Confirmed that the M.2 SSD 2 port was turned on in the Bios system options.  Tested that this part of the bios turned drives on/off by temporarily turning off port 1 and then back on.  Doing the same with port 2 had no effect.
  2. Proved the new drive is not the problem by swapping the old and new drives across ports 1 and port 2.  Port 1 works with both drives.  Port 2 doesn't work with either.
  3. Updated the bios to the latest version.
  4. Updated the firmware to the latest version.
  5. Turned off all security in the bios.
  6. Reset CMOS.  Removed the power cord and battery.  Held down the power button for 15 seconds.
  7. Removed all drives.  And reset CMOS again.  Removed the power cord and battery.  Held down the power button for 15 seconds.  Added slot 2 first.

Does anyone have any other configuration or setup ideas?  At this point I suspect a bug in the bios.  Any ideas for tricking the bios to start over and look at all storage ports maybe working around the bug? 

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I looked through the user manuals including the UEFI bios manual and did not see any restrictions on the number of PCIe lanes available, if they were shared with the Pcie slots or not.

A number of motherboard have restrictions such as slot 2 can be used if M.2 is occupied and vice-versa.

You might try disabling any unoccupied slots in the bios and see if that fixes the problem.  Just a guess based on similar m.2 problems.

There is a nice writeup about m.2 and the number of lanes available here that is IMHO worth reading.

https://pcguide101.com/motherboard/how-many-pcie-lanes-does-m-2-slot-use/

Hope this helps.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reference.  I read it and it is helpful in rounding out my understanding of how PCIe works. 

Following that line of thinking I did find in the Quick Specs on page 23 it states that "SATA 2.5" internal storage drive cannot be selected if 2nd M.2, discrete graphic card, or 95w processor is selected".  I did have a SATA 2.5 drive installed at one time but but removed it and disabled that in the bios.  Still no joy.

Also, I edited my original post to indicate that I have the Desktop Mini (DM), not the SFF like I posted initially.

HP Recommended

@DesertRat111 wrote:

in the Quick Specs on page 23 it states that "SATA 2.5" internal storage drive cannot be selected if 2nd M.2, discrete graphic card, or 95w processor is selected". 

There are no 95 watt processors.  I check Wiki in addition to the quick spec.  Either a mistake or they are implying that the higher end CPUs use up all the lanes available.  Only HP insiders would know what was meant.

Was your system equipped or pre-configured for Optane memory in the second m.2?    Look for disabling Intel rapid storage in bios.   Just a guess.  Instead of using Optane memory I installed PrimoCache on my Area51 and used a bigger M.2 instead of the small Optane.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.