Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp pavilion p6 2422 el (2012)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to update the bios of my computer.

Can not find any.

It is possible to update the bios on my hp pavilion p6 2422 el (2012).

I am running windows 11 and 10, on the same SSD.

Motherboard Joshua-H61-uATX (Joshua)

Processor  Intel Core i5 3330

Ram  6 GB

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You have to change the operating system and select Windows 8.

Description:

This package provides an update to the HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2ADA) for supported models running a supported operating system

Fix and enhancements:

-Improved security of UEFI code and variables. HP strongly recommends promptly transitioning to this updated BIOS version which supersedes all previous releases.

NOTE: Due to security changes, after this BIOS update is installed, previous versions cannot be reinstalled

Paul_Tikkanen_0-1630251231296.png

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi:

The last BIOS update HP released for your PC was 8.20 and it can be found under the Windows 8 driver section of the support page.

HP Pavilion p6-2422el Desktop PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

I do not recommend that you try to update the BIOS when running an unsupported operating system.

There is no telling what may happen.

It may work fine, or it may render your PC unusable.

HP Recommended

Yet I do not  know if I will update.

My I am installing windows 8.1 in a different hard drive. Then do the update.

Put first I have to find the update.

I already checked before. HP Pavilion p6-2422el Desktop PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support does not list any bios update. 

I attach screen shot of the page. HP Pavilion p6-2422el Desktop PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

Screenshot 2021-08-29 162929.png

HP Recommended

Hi:

You have to change the operating system and select Windows 8.

Description:

This package provides an update to the HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2ADA) for supported models running a supported operating system

Fix and enhancements:

-Improved security of UEFI code and variables. HP strongly recommends promptly transitioning to this updated BIOS version which supersedes all previous releases.

NOTE: Due to security changes, after this BIOS update is installed, previous versions cannot be reinstalled

Paul_Tikkanen_0-1630251231296.png

HP Recommended

you are right.

I find it.

But I can not update, because the downgrade is not allow. 

The risk is to big. If  doesn't work i have to run windows 8 for ever

Let me know if there is a way to confirm if the update is working in windows 10/11.

Thanks

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately unless someone sees this discussion, and can confirm the BIOS update will work with no problem on W10/W11 for your PC, that would be the only way you will be able to find out other than risking it yourself.

HP Recommended

Hello
sorry but unless I did not understand what you are saying, it seems to me that you are making a small mistake!
You say "But I can not update, because the downgrade is not allow. If doesn't work i have to run windows 8 for ever"
I understand that you are afraid of having to stay with windows 8 after updating the bios?
However, this means that you will not be able to revert to the previous version of the bios!
the risk is much greater, if the bios update goes wrong, you risk not being able to use the computer at all!
As far as I know, but not 100% reliable ..
you can update under windows 10
once the file is downloaded, right click, run as administrator
But it doesn't work every time
In any case, you have a risk that it crashes

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

have the file update. But is for windows 8.

I can not be sure about compatibility with windows 10/11. 

There are a possible of the update works but there is a possible that it does not work. The update is only for computer with windows 8. (not even windows 8.1)

I can find nothing online about this update 

HP Recommended

my idea was to install windows 8 in a different hard driver.

Doing the Bios update.

Reinstall the SSD with windows 10/11.

if do does not work I can not downgrade the Bios.

Then 

To use my computer again I have to reinstall the hard driver with windows 8.

This is what I meant 

HP Recommended

@Filippopune  -- my question: what is your justification for trying to update the BIOS?

On this forum, I have seen too many reports of "failed" updates that have turned the computer into a "brick". My advice: unless you have a definite reason, do not try to update the BIOS.

That being said, you wrote:

Hp Pavilion P6 2422 El (2012)

Motherboard: Joshua-H61-uATX (Joshua)

If you enter BIOS SETUP, is one of the options available in any of the menu items to "flash" the BIOS before allowing the motherboard to start loading Windows ? 

If  that is true:

1.  Download that ".exe" file that @Paul_Tikkanen  has recommended. 
  2. Run it, under Windows 10, and It will create a folder: C:\SWSetup\[sp70376] on your computer. Close the app after it has created this folder, and loaded some files into this folder.
  3. The contents of that folder include the file:   08/01/2015 12:37 AM 8,388,608 JOS_820.ROM  -- This file is the updated BIOS. 
  4. Copy that file to an empty USB memory-stick.   
  5. Make a note of the drive-letter -- maybe "E:" -- that Windows has assigned to the memory-stick.
  6. Leave the memory-stick connected to your computer.
  7. Shutdown the computer. 
  8. Restart, and enter BIOS SETUP mode.
  9. Launch that BIOS UPDATE app.
  10. Tell the app to access that drive-letter for the memory-stick -- presumably "E:".
  11. Tell the app to select that "ROM" file.
  12. Tell the app to proceed with the BIOS update.  Since NO version of Windows is currently running, the BIOS can be updated, with no worry about the version of Windows loaded onto the disk-drive.
  13. Restart your computer, and enter BIOS SETUP mode.
  14. It may be necessary to select "Load BIOS Defaults".
  15. Exit from BIOS SETUP, and let Windows 10 reboot.
  16. QED

Note that the BIOS update was issued when Windows 8 was the newest currently-available operating system.  In general, any BIOS update does NOT prevent you from running Windows 10 or Windows 11.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.