Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
EliteDesk 800 G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am constantly getting BSOD problems that stem from a problem with ntoskrnl.exe.

I have checked the RAM with the Windows tool and memtest and it reports no errors.

I have wiped the SSD and reinstalled Windows 10 and even got a new SSD and reinstalled again but the problem persists.

On Crucial's website it says my PC should take RAM with 1.35v not the 1.5v I have.

If the RAM isn't faulty but not the right voltage would this the cause the problems, or if it can accept both voltages should it be in a particular colour slot (black/white)?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

I am inclined to believe that the BIOS would report a memory voltage error if the PC could not run 1.5V memory--especially if that is the memory that originally came with your PC.

You populate the black memory sockets before populating the white ones.  That is what is indicated in the service manual.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04331008

So, for example if you have 2 x 4 GB of memory, those both go into the black sockets.

There may be an intermittent memory issue that gets by the memory tests.

I've had that happen to me on a couple of PC's and it is very hard to figure it out unless you remove all of the memory modules and test them one at a time in the primary black memory slot (which is normally the one closest to the processor).

Run the PC off the one chip and if you get the BSOD, remove it and go on to the next one and so on.

If the BSOD's quit on all memory run except one, then you have found the culprit and can replace it.

If it BSOD's on all memory tested, then you can rule out a memory issue.

The Quickspecs state the PC can use DDR3-1600 memory, so I don't think the voltage is the issue.

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2013/HPDiscoverBarcelona/HP_EliteDesk800G1_Desktop_Mini...

The nice thing about DDR3L memory is that is is designed to work at 1.5V or 1.35V, but DDR3 memory cannot run at 1.35V.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.