Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
EliteDesk 705 G2 MT 8750b
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I received my computer in March with Win10 pro installed on a 128GB SSD through the SATA link.

I installed an extra 16GB memory getting me a total of 24GB.

I installed a 500GB HDD for misc storage. which went fine.

An associate talked me into an Intel 360GB M.2 SSD, to use as the OS base and storage of regular programs and non-archive materials...… I do not store much on my deskbox, I typically load to USB's.

Here's the problem, our very small office. IT guy, cloned the entire disk to the 500GB HDD and then cloned the 500GB onto the new M.2 SSD....the fun started. I could not regular boot or repair (repair file missing). I had to go into settings and load a different version of Windows from Disk 6, not disk 10 which was being used for booting.

When I try and boot normally, I cannot, and need to bounce through settings, get to, use a different version of windows, and go back to disk 6 to boot. Then all things work fine.

I would like to have the 360GB SSD for the OS and apps, then use the 500GB HDD for archive materials, pics videos etc..

I was advised to remove all of the drives I did not want to boot from, and work with just 1 drive until I got the issue tamed. Which I did.

Still the problem persisted. When I look into windows 'this pc', I see my m.2 ssd, my DVD player and TWO partitions that say 'boot', both about 900MB(?) in size.

Also, I still had disk 6 & 10 to choose from, eventhough I removed everything except the M.2 drive.

I was told to get rid of the random boot files, as there is one already inside of Windows.

I do not want to make an error which will set me back again.

Can someone assist?

Thanks in Advance,

Dean in IL

When I try and boot normally, I cannot, and need to bounce through settings and go back to disk 6 to boot.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@DNO36 , welcome back to the forum.

Do you still have the original 128 GB SSD with the original OS on it?  If so, the best way to solve your problem would be to install the M.2 SSD and clone the original SSD to it.  What brand is the new M.2 SSD?

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.