Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Obelisk Desktop 875-0910ns, Product 4ZG88EA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti got broken; when I turn on my PC I heard three long beeps and then 3 short ones. This sequence repeats several times., so as the documentation I found states, this is due a bad graphic card. I need to replace it, so I need a list of compatible graphics cardsbefore buying one.

While I find an appropiate one, I've tried to install a old Asus GTS 25O, the following model:

ENGTS250 DK/HTDI/512MD3

But I've had no success, the screen is black and  I can't even enter the main menu by pressing 'Esc' just after turning the PC on.  The funnny question here is that there are no beeps when it is installed, so I guess chances are that card is also broken or maybe is not compatible.

Summarizing, I would appreciate a list of compatible graphics cards for my HP OMEN model.

Regards and thanks in advance,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @JPau 

That's very interesting.

The product specs indicate the PC has the onboard Intel graphics, but there are no video out ports.

Secure boot is enabled by default.  If you reset the CMOS, nothing will change regarding secure boot.

Since the specs must be incorrect, the only suggestion I can offer, would be to buy a cheap, used but tested and working card that has support for a UEFI BIOS and secure boot such as a Nvidia GT 710 or GT 730.

You should be able to find one on eBay.

gt 710 en venta - | eBay

gt 730 en venta - | eBay

Otherwise, you will have to buy the same card as the one that was in there now...

L04898-001Graphics Card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX1050Ti 4GB FH x16 G5

OMEN by HP Obelisk Desktop PC - 875-0910ns Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

Video graphics

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4 GB)
Integrated graphics
  • Intel UHD Graphics 630
    NOTE: 
    Integrated video is not available if a graphics card is installed.

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

Hi:

The Asus GTS 250 card should work if you go into the BIOS, and disable secure boot.

See this link for the settings to change...

HP Desktop PCs - Computer Does not Start After Installing a Video Card (Windows 10, 😎 | HP® Custome...

Otherwise, I suggest you replace the NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti with a new or used but tested and working one.

HP Recommended

GTS 250 take 150watts and require a 450watt supply according to techpowerup.  The 1050TI uses only 75 and does not need a power cable like the 250.

I had one long ago and it had an 8 pin PCIe connector. There may be some with 6 pin.  Since you got it connected your power supply probably is capable.  If the change that Paul suggested does not work then you might not have enough power to run that card.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Thanks Paul for your reply, it has been very useful to understand what it's happening.

I didn't notice my motherboard has a integrated GPU, so now I only need an adaptator UB-C Displayport ->VGA/DVI/HDMI so I can use it. From there configuring the BIOS so it may accept old hardware should be easy.

I guess chances are the integrated GPU is even better than the GTS250, so I might remove this one too and wait until I may find a better one.

Thanks and regards

HP Recommended

Thanks Beemer,

Mine has a 6 pin connector. Firts time I connected the GPU tothe PCI-E slot I didn't connect this card pin to thePSU and I got an intense "beeeeeeep" when turning on the PC. Funny thing in my old PC it can run alone just plugged into the PCI-E slot.

I've checked the PSU power and it is a 300W, so I guess I won't be able to use the GTS250 for task requiring  heavy use of the GPU, but I'd like to check at least if it is working.

As I said in my previous reply to Paul, I didn't know my MB had a integrated GPU, so as soon as I get the USB-C Displayport -Z> VGA adaptator I'll check both my PC runs and the GTS250. Then I'll remove the GTS250, as I haven't seen an easy way to change the PSU. I may need to investigate this though, as I have a 750W PSU that could be helpful if eventually I buy a better GPU card in the 200 - 250 W range.

Regarding your investment I know what it feels. Now I'm investing some money in crypto, and in the long term it looks promising. Be careful though because right now bitcoin is being traded in its top, and I'm afraid a correction is closer than most enthusiasts think. Just a matter of investment managment, but anyway it's better to be careful.

Thanks and regards.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

Hi

Summarizing: My NVIDIA 1050 Ti got broken, I tried to install a GTS250 GPU card but it didn't work.

A kind reply to my post indicated I probably need to disable "secure boot" in the BIOS.

In the other hand I read the Omen specifications in the HP support site and it seams my MB has an  integrated GPU, an Intel UHD 630. I thought from there it was an easy task to do so I marked the problem as solved.

The question is it doesn't matter if my OMEN has an integrated GPU because I just can't use it!.

There's no way I can connect it to my monitor. My HP OMEN model does not have a HDMI / DVI / AVG connector, and I have tried with a USB-C to VGA adaptor but it doesnt work when connected to the USB-port in my desktop. The adaptor works fine with my laptop, so the adaptor is not the problem.

The question is I need to access the BIOS in order to allow the use of the GPU card I have, but I can't access the BIOS without a GPU, and the integrated GPU can't be used due lack of a connector in my PC. I wonder why do they say this model has an integrated GPU if it is unreachable. By all means it is the same as not having any!

So what can I do?. I guess I have two options:

1) Reset the BIOS by removing the battery for a while then try again with my GTS250.

My question here is: Is "secure boot" enabled or disabled by default? If it is enabled, this won't work.

2) I may buy a new GPU card, but then, How can I know if the new GPU card model is in the allowed list managed by "secure boot"?

Is there a list os compatible hardware for HP product "4ZG88EA", know as "OMEN by HP Obelisk Desktop 875-0910ns"?

Does anyone please have a link for that?

If you can recommend me a new card, please notice I shouldn't buy an expensive GPU card if there is aanother/ hidden problem with my PC, for instance with  the MB. I can't be sure the broken GPU is the only problem I have as I haven't successfuly turn on the PC yet. Chances are it is only a GPU problem though, as both when i have the NVIDIA 1050 Ti installed and when I have no card installed, if I turn on the power, I get 3 consecutive long beeps and 3 short ones, which according to the documentation means a GPU problem.

Any ideas? 

Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

hi @JPau 

Your motherboard does not allow integrated video indeed

motherboard specifications, Edoras

875-0910ns Product Specifications
If your graphics card is not working, because boot security is enabled, it may not be possible to change this!
you have a problem with your nvidia graphics card, is it possible for you to have it tested in order to check if the problem is the same?

It would be a shame to buy a graphics card from you if it doesn't work!
you should go to a professional, so that he can test an identical card
"My question here is: Is" secure boot "enabled or disabled by default? If it is enabled, this won't work."
Enabled since you are with original windows10, almost certain
"2) I may buy a new GPU card, but then, How can I know if the new GPU card model is in the allowed list managed by" secure boot "?
"
I am afraid that this is not possible, the original card only I believe is recognized!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hi, @JPau 

That's very interesting.

The product specs indicate the PC has the onboard Intel graphics, but there are no video out ports.

Secure boot is enabled by default.  If you reset the CMOS, nothing will change regarding secure boot.

Since the specs must be incorrect, the only suggestion I can offer, would be to buy a cheap, used but tested and working card that has support for a UEFI BIOS and secure boot such as a Nvidia GT 710 or GT 730.

You should be able to find one on eBay.

gt 710 en venta - | eBay

gt 730 en venta - | eBay

Otherwise, you will have to buy the same card as the one that was in there now...

L04898-001Graphics Card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX1050Ti 4GB FH x16 G5

OMEN by HP Obelisk Desktop PC - 875-0910ns Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

Video graphics

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4 GB)
Integrated graphics
  • Intel UHD Graphics 630
    NOTE: 
    Integrated video is not available if a graphics card is installed.
HP Recommended

@JPau wrote:

Hi

Summarizing: My NVIDIA 1050 Ti got broken, I tried to install a GTS250 GPU card but it didn't work.

Does the GTS-250 work well enough to get into the BIOS setup?

If so, you may be able to enable the internal video.  I assume the USB-C is the video out for the I7-8700 chip's graphics.

The GTS-250 was released in 2009 and lacks UEFI bios.  It is possible your bios will show an option for the internal video.  This is just a guess based on what I found with my HP Pro 3400.  My AMD S9000 boards (no UEFI) allowed the internal video to be enabled and the internal video was listed where before it was not an option.   However, it did not work with the S9000 card even if enabled.  It only worked if there were no other cards present.  

I am suggesting you try the following:  Boot into BIOS with that 250 card, enable internal video if it is an option (i had to hunt for it on the Pro 3400), then power down, pull the 250 out and try your C => HDMI adapter.

Just guessing

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.