Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
P7-1234
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Cannot get access to my SATA CD-ROM. Tried multiple disks, but it's not recognized. In the command prompt it says "Device not Ready". Looked everywhere for diagnostics, uninstalled the driver and rebooted.  I also tried to get the startup menu on boot where I could run a diagnostic but when I hit F2, it doesn't offer choices, just goes through its check ending with the SMART check Device manager and properties say the device is working properly. Even went in and checked the connectors to the device., I tried to look everywhere for a diagnostic for it but basically got sent around in circles. Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello
this computer is quite old, it may be damaged
Do you know maybe if it doesn't work anymore after a windows upgrade?
Try what is here, but it may need to be replaced

Drive Cannot Read Discs (Windows 7)
try it with a more or less new commercial cd and dvd ..

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello
this computer is quite old, it may be damaged
Do you know maybe if it doesn't work anymore after a windows upgrade?
Try what is here, but it may need to be replaced

Drive Cannot Read Discs (Windows 7)
try it with a more or less new commercial cd and dvd ..

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thanks for the response, could be it just doesn't work anymore but it was rarely used even though the machine is old. Also, it's running Windows 10 and I know it worked when I moved to 10 years ago. Look like they aren't very expensive so I just may do that. Frustrating to look to get a diagnostic and the HP site sends you to Microsoft which isn't helpful and back to HP site which isn't helpful. Thanks again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.