Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
27-a072a (W2T94AA#ABG)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

COM Ports and Bluetooth are missing missing from device manager I can see them when I reveal hidden items but cannot start them I also see [ Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)]. am advise that the unit does not have the hardware when I try to start them in settings ... I know it does .. I have been using it since I've had the computer. I am assuming that the COM Ports and Bluetooth and USB are tied together.

This all started when windows did an update to 1903. I have been getting BSOD (blue screens of death) error is  Page Fault in Non Page Area ... intermittently. I have run a complete hardware check RAM/Board/USB etc all are fine.

Any and all help would be most welcome ...... Please help! 😭😭

Thanks in advance

pyorkie

PS ... When I get a BSOD and go into recovery mode I us the option to [Disable Drivers Signature Enforcement] and then I can get into my windows ... but the above problem still exists..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey 

Thanks for the extensive solutions offered ..... but I have tried all of those options. But I think I may have solved the problem as I now have my bluetooth and com ports back and working and no longer have a USB error. I noticed that my USB keyboard was not working (it is backlit) and it seemed to BSOD just as windows started up. I could finally get into windows with all the errors described after a number of restarts. I believe that my hidden boot partition was corrupted somehow .... I was lucky to have a total system backup and managed to restore this hidden partition and when I rebooted it now seems to work.

I was reinstalling my Windows C: drive not this boot partition and this is why I have been having this issue for so long. 

I tried to do a factory reset but the media I was given wouldn't work ... and this believed is because I replaced my HDD with WD 4TB drive after thinking that my initial problem was my drive .... although I don't know why the different drive would stop a factory reset .... if you can expand on that would love to know ... would a different drive stop me from doing a factory reset? 

Anyway I thank you very much for your response.

pyorkie

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@pyorkie Welcome to HP Community!

• First, we recommend that you ensure Bluetooth is enabled in Windows 10. To check and enable it,
  • Press Windows + I to open the Settings app and Select Devices
  • You will be automatically directed to the “Bluetooth & other devices” section on the left pane.
  • Look for the Bluetooth switch and check that it is toggled to the “On” position.
  • Also look for the Bluetooth button on the Bluetooth device ( keyboard, mouse, headphone, etc ) computer – press it to enable Bluetooth.

If you are facing problem while connecting to a Bluetooth device, Temporarily disable security software (Antivirus) if installed and check this may very helpful.

Run Bluetooth Troubleshooter

Whenever you are stuck with any kind of Bluetooth error, then the first thing we recommend to run the Bluetooth Troubleshooter & Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter which check and fix the problem or bug which prevents/causing Bluetooth device to connect.

• Press Windows + I to open the settings app,
  • Click on Update & security then Troubleshoot,
  • On the right side select Bluetooth and run the troubleshooter

This will scan and address any bug causing/preventing Bluetooth devices from connecting.

After running the Bluetooth Troubleshooter Also Run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter to check and fix if any physical hardware device causing the issue to connect via Bluetooth. Again you can run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter from Settings >> Update and Security >> Troubleshoot.

After running both troubleshooters simply restart windows and check on next login Bluetooth devices connected and working properly. Still, have to issue follow the next instructions.

Check Bluetooth Service Is Running

• Press the Windows key + R, then type “services.msc”.
  • Once the Services window opens, locate Bluetooth Support Service,
  • Check if it’s on running state simply right click on it and Restart.
  • Or if the service not running then double click on it to get its properties,
    • Here change the startup type Automatic and Start the service next to service status as shown image below.

Check Bluetooth connection settings

1. Right-click Windows key and select Control Panel.
  2. Open Hardware and Sounds section and select Bluetooth Devices.
  3. Select Options and make sure that the Allow Bluetooth devices to connect to this computer checkbox is marked.

Update/reinstall Bluetooth Driver Software

After connecting to your Pc or laptop if the Bluetooth devices are not working or are incompatible with your system, then update/reinstall the Bluetooth device driver is the most working solution I have personally found.

To update Bluetooth driver

• Press Windows Key + R then type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.
  • Expand Bluetooth then right-click on your device and select Update Driver.

Select “Search automatically for updated driver software” and follow on-screen instructions to let windows check for the latest available driver If found any windows automatically download and install them for you. After that restart windows and check Bluetooth device started working.

If updating the device driver didn’t help then try Rollback and Reinstall option or visit device manufacturer website, download the latest available driver and install this on your system check Bluetooth devices started working as before.

If Bluetooth stopped working suddenly after recent windows 10 upgrade and applying all above solutions didn’t fix the problem then the last option you may apply uninstall the windows 10 latest build and wait for Microsoft to fix the bug.

(The above link is 3rd party and is not owned by HP, I've posted this only so that I may help you resolve this issue by going beyond my support boundaries, please ignore the ads and take only the free suggestions)

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey 

Thanks for the extensive solutions offered ..... but I have tried all of those options. But I think I may have solved the problem as I now have my bluetooth and com ports back and working and no longer have a USB error. I noticed that my USB keyboard was not working (it is backlit) and it seemed to BSOD just as windows started up. I could finally get into windows with all the errors described after a number of restarts. I believe that my hidden boot partition was corrupted somehow .... I was lucky to have a total system backup and managed to restore this hidden partition and when I rebooted it now seems to work.

I was reinstalling my Windows C: drive not this boot partition and this is why I have been having this issue for so long. 

I tried to do a factory reset but the media I was given wouldn't work ... and this believed is because I replaced my HDD with WD 4TB drive after thinking that my initial problem was my drive .... although I don't know why the different drive would stop a factory reset .... if you can expand on that would love to know ... would a different drive stop me from doing a factory reset? 

Anyway I thank you very much for your response.

pyorkie

HP Recommended

@pyorkie That's awesome, I'm glad you've got that in control, that said, the factory reset media is encrypted to work with the hardware components sent along with the device initially, and since you've changed the HDD to a 4TB storage is probably why it didn't work, as I see that your device was shipped with a 3TB HDD as per your product specifications mentioned here.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi all

Just an update about this problem ... I did get it working but it came back ...... I've been looking around and on the microsoft trouble shooter website and it seems that it is a major problem with the 1903 windows update ... so I guess we wait until either microsoft fixes the update or HP does.

I've tried to replace the drivers manually ... that didn't work .... it seems to be affecting the USB as well have a look at the error info below. Replacing this driver had no effect ... any ideas?

usb.inf 0000002B name: \Device\USBPDO-7 Location: Port_#0001.Hub_#0004

DN_HAS_PROBLEM
DN_DISABLEABLE
DN_REMOVABLE
DN_NT_ENUMERATOR
DN_NT_DRIVER

Capabilities:
CM_DEVCAP_REMOVABLE
CM_DEVCAP_SILENTINSTALL
CM_DEVCAP_RAWDEVICEOK

--------------------------------------

BluetoothUserService_8cdc3

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

A request for the USB device descriptor failed.

Port_#0001.Hub_#0004

Device USB\VID_0000&PID_0002\6&112ae988&0&1 was configured.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Device USB\VID_0000&PID_0002\6&112AE988&0&1 was deleted.

Class Guid: {36fc9e60-c465-11cf-8056-444553540000}
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Driver Name: usb.inf
Driver Date: 06/21/2006
Driver Version: 10.0.18362.1
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Section: BADDEVICE.Dev.NT
Driver Rank: 0xFF0000
Matching Device Id: USB\DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR_FAILURE
Outranked Drivers: usb.inf:USB\DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR_FAILURE:00FF2000
Device Updated: false
Parent Device: USB\VID_2109&PID_2813\5&2e44bba7&1&2
-------------------------------------------------------------
Device USB\VID_0000&PID_0002\6&112ae988&0&1 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: usb.inf
Service:
Lower Filters:
Upper Filters:
Problem: 0x2B
Problem Status: 0x0
----------------------------------------------------
driver version
10.0.18362.1 date:21/06/2006
---------------------------------------------------

HP Recommended

@pyorkie I suggest you send a feedback and wait for another update, if you've already installed all available windows updates as they should release a patch to fix this issue: click here for details on sending a feedback to Microsoft, the only other thing you can do is rollback to an earlier version of windows and disable automatic updates, this isn't recommended but if its something you wish to explore: click here & here

(The above link is 3rd party and is not owned by HP, I've posted this only so that I may help you resolve this issue by going beyond my support boundaries, please ignore the ads and take only the free suggestions)

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for the reply ... I did the rollback but it didn't help ... and send the microsoft troubleshoot feedback ..... but guess what ... I just turn on the computer and bingo ... all is as it shoud be .. bluetooth is back and the USB problem (which was conected I'm sure) is also resolved ... so either they have finally fixed the problem or my fooling around did it .... I would like to think my genius is the cause but I doubt it .... any way I had this resolved before let hope this sticks. 

Thanks for all your input and help.

pyorkie

PS: any BSOD since the 1903 update is caused by a incompatability with a Intel driver ... can't remember which one ... can post the info if you want.

HP Recommended

@pyorkie

I'm glad you got this issue sorted out

Do visit our HP Support Community and drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.