Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion TG01-2360
Microsoft Windows 11

So I recently acquired an HP Pavilion TG01-2360, and was wondering if I could upgrade my cpu to something beefier. I'll get to why I'm asking after I give the specs.

GPU: Nvidia RTX 3060 12GB

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 3.8GHz 8 core

RAM: 32GB DDR4@3200MHz

Storage: 512GB SSD, 2TB SSD via USB adapter

PSU: "400 Watt"

Mobo: Erica6 B550A

I'm asking because according to 

https://support.hp.com/ie-en/document/c07946917

I can't actually upgrade my cpu from the 5700G, but it lists 3 all at 65w. I'm planning on upgrading the PSU to 500w or 550w if possible, so will I be able to upgrade to say an R9 5900X or 5950X as long as I have a better PSU, or can I just not upgrade at all due to the B550A Erica6 mobo?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Likesc .

As far as I can see, that processor you mention is compatible with the socket of your equipment which is Socket AM4.

AMD Ryzen processors containing the letter G is to say that it is a standard desktop version, operating at lower frequency and AMD Ryzen processors containing the X is for overcloking.

I am proudly Mexican, a Computer Systems Engineer and a community volunteer.
If you found the answer helpful and/or you want to say “thanks”? Click the “ Yes ” box below Did I help solve the problem? don´t forget to click “ Accept as a solution” , someone who has the same query may find this solution and be helped by it.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @Likesc .

You can place an AMD Ryzen 3000 and 5000 series processor without any problems.

If you found the answer helpful and/or you want to say “thanks”? Click the “ Yes ” box below Did I help solve the problem? don´t forget to click “ Accept as a solution” , someone who has the same query may find this solution and be helped by it.

HP Recommended

So I wouldn't have any issues swapping my Ryzen 7 5700G for a Ryzen 9 5900X? Just wanted to specify. 

HP Recommended

@Likesc .

As far as I can see, that processor you mention is compatible with the socket of your equipment which is Socket AM4.

AMD Ryzen processors containing the letter G is to say that it is a standard desktop version, operating at lower frequency and AMD Ryzen processors containing the X is for overcloking.

HP Recommended

@Likesc,

Adding to what @GOLD_MASTER has said, as much as we would like to see you be able to fit an AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / 5950X (both with TDPs of 105 watt) in your Gaming rig, it looks to me that your Erica6 (SSID: 8906) motherboard is not compatible for these processors.  Maybe because 'TDP matters' in the HP universe -regardless whether you use a more powerful PSU or not.

You see, I was unable to find any HP Pavilion TG01-2360 anywhere fitted with an AMD Ryzen 9 5900X or 5950X: UserBenchmark: HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-2xxx Compatible Components

Granted -after all, who knows, right? Because these AMD Ryzen 9 59xxX processors are so new (release date: Q4-2020), it is entirely possible that no one has tried it yet, and you could conceivably become the very first Super User who will show the world that it can be done.

Anyway, my penny's worth for tonight.

Good luck!

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Many thanks for the response. Although upon doing research into benchmarks comparing the R7 5700G and the R9 59xx CPUs, I decided the performance increase doesn't justify the price. I will instead look into upgrading my GPU to a 3070. I believe I'll have to get a new mobo and windows copy, which is inevitable for those looking to upgrade prebuilts. Again, thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.