Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp Envy 810-145qe
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Upon startup of this computer, the CPU fan will usually start normally but will suddenly change to max speed after a minute or so of running normally even when there is less than 10% load on the CPU and go back to normal after a few minutes and go back and forth between normal operation and max speed. This computer is about 4 years old now and hasn't had this problem since the last few months. I just dusted it out with compressed air. I also tried to update drivers which didnt have any change on it. Airflow is also not an issue as this happens both in its normal spot and when I put it on a desk and opened the side to dust it and turned it on afterward and left it on the Windows 10 login screen.

I'm not sure where to go from here to fix the problem and any help would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi! @Obi_Juan,

The processor can heat up due to certain applications too. While gaming and streaming videos can heat it a bit, if it is always running at full speed, there is a possibility that there are certain apps on your computer that are putting too much pressure on CPU.

To check this, open the Task Manager. Go to the first tab and click on CPU column heading (it says CPU). That will cause the Task Manager to arrange programs and apps in descending order of CPU usage. It means, the apps using the CPU more will be at the top and ones using it less will be below them.

Determine which type of fan is making the noise

Locating a noisy fan

Turn off the power and remove the computer side panel to locate the noisy fan.

1. Turn off the computer.

2. Remove any objects near the computer. In addition, make sure there are no children or pets near the area.

3. To open the computer case, loosen or remove the screws at the back of the side panel. Then slide the panel to the back and away from the computer.

NOTE: 

For help opening the computer case, search the HP Web site for detailed instructions. In the Search (or Questions or Keywords) field at the top of this page, type the computer model number and the words "opening the case." For example, if you own an HP Pavilion Slimline s3307c Desktop PC, type the following: s3307c opening the case.

WARNING: 

Do not put any part of your body inside the computer. Touching components inside the computer, even when the computer is off, can damage sensitive electronic circuits and expose you to risk of injury from electrical shock.

4. With the side panel removed, turn on the computer and listen for fan noise inside the computer.

5. Find the noisy fan and remember its location.

NOTE: 

If the fan noise goes away when the side cover is removed, the problem might be caused by excessive heat inside the computer case. See Reducing Heat Inside the PC for more information.

6. Turn off the computer.

7. Replace the side panel.

Refer this article to know more information about fan issues with the PC. Click Here

Also, I recommend you to run a system diagnostics test on the PC and check if the hardware components on the PC are functioning correctly.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on the PC. Click Here

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The computer has a water cooled CPU and the fan at issue is set up to cool the radiator.

The fan will turn on at max speed when the CPU hits around 10-20% load but runs normallly under that

The computer is used mostly for Microsoft Office and web browsing and is running Windows 10 Home edition so there is nothing that the CPU shouldnt be able to handle normally.

Everything in the diagnostic passed and the CPU also passed the extensive test. The only bottleneck in the system is the hard drive as there is no boot drive which slows the system on startup but that shouldn't affect the CPU heat.

HP Recommended

Hi! @Obi_Juan,

Thanks for the update.

Please try the steps recommended below and check if it helps.

You can run System maintenance troubleshooter and check if this helps.

1. Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard and select Control Panel.

2. Type Troubleshooting on the search bar on the Control Panel.

3. Click on view all and click on System maintenance.

4. Click on Advanced on the System maintenance dialog box and click on Run as administrator (Enter the credentials if required).

5. Click on Next and follow onscreen instruction complete the System maintenance troubleshooter.

Also, try the steps recommended below.

In Windows, search for Command Prompt. In the search results, right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator. Then click Yes.
In Command Prompt, type sfc /scannow. Make sure to include the space between sfc and the /.
Press Enter and wait while System File Checker scans for corrupted files.
When scanning is complete, the results are displayed on the screen.

Let me know if this helps!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.