Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Power Desktop 580-0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm running Windows 10 latest update and have discovered that my HP Pavilion Power Desktop 580-0xx CANNOT be upgraded to Windows 11 because Windows 11 does NOT support Intel i7 processors.  So can I put a new Intel i9 processor in so I can install Windows 11?  Or am I up the creek and have to buy a new PC or continue running Windows 10?

CMG III
6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

What do you mean when you say it will not support i7 CPUs

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-inte...

Let us know,

David

HP Recommended

Sorry.  I should have been more precise and have said Windows 11 will not support Intel core 7th gen. i7.  And that's what I have in my Pavilion 580.  I ran the Windows 11 Check and it said my processor is not supported.  Therefore my question about a CPU upgrade.  But since then I've found that it's much more complicated as there are several versions of that CPU and they are NOT STANDARDIZED.   There are several sockets used and not all CPUs fit in all the different sockets.  And I don't know which socket I have so it looks like I'm out of luck and will stick with Windows 10.  Besides those new CPUs are EXPENSIVE.  I might as well get a new confuser for a couple of bucks more.

Thanks for the reply.  Much appreciated.

CMG III
HP Recommended

Hi,

I would just try installing it on the PC as it does not really seem to present any problem with 7th gen Core CPUs

However you do need to perform a clean install (not upgrade)

You can create installation media here

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11

You will need to wipe the old installation during install

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

Hmm, THAT does NOT sound like any fun.  Besides I think I read that if you install on hardware that is NOT recommended that updates will not apply.  I don't know, but I think I'll skip this one.  Probably a good idea as 1st iteration of any software is usually buggy any way.

But thanks for the reply.  Very much appreciate the effort to help.

We're here to help each other...We're here to help each other...We're here to help each other.

CMG III
HP Recommended

You're welcome.

I have installed on a 6th gen CPU and on a 9th gen CPU. Can not really see any difference right now 😀

Take care,

David

HP Recommended

And the operative phrase in your response is "right now".  What about the future with Windows updates that won't work or problems that show up when installing new hardware or software the produce conflicts that Microsoft says "Sorry, your running on unsupported hardware and we warned you about that."  No, I don't think I want to go down that road.  I run a business on these confusers and will not take that chance.  The young, brave and reckless can.

CMG III
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.