Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy TE01-1175xt
Other

Hey there.

I've been wanting to upgrade the processor and add a second graphics card to my machine, but I'm not sure if that's possible to do. I have an HP Envy TE01-1175xt tower running a dual-boot setup of Windows 11 and Ubuntu 21.10, with an i7 processor and a Geforce GTX 1660 Super. I want to add a second graphics card, a GTX 1660 Super or better, and replace the i7 with an i9.

Can I add a second graphics card and replace the CPU with a better one?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

It is not possible to add a second graphics card. Your MB has one PCIe  x16 slot.

Your MB only supports the following processors:

Intel CPU.png

A i7-10700 would be the best CPU upgrade.

Regards

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

It is not possible to add a second graphics card. Your MB has one PCIe  x16 slot.

Your MB only supports the following processors:

Intel CPU.png

A i7-10700 would be the best CPU upgrade.

Regards

HP Recommended

@J_Egan 

It specs

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c06638240

1. CPU: It has Intel® Core™ i7-10700 (2.9 GHz base frequency, up to 4.7 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 16 MB L3 cache, 8 cores) now. You can upgrade/downgrade to the following processors

• TDP: up to 65 W
  • Socket type: LGA 1200
  • Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
    Processor
    TDP
    Intel Core i5-10400 (Comet Lake-S) 2.9 GHz base frequency, up to 4.3 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 12 MB L3 cache, 6 cores
    65 W
    Intel Core i5-10400F (Comet Lake-S) 2.9 GHz base frequency, up to 4.3 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 12 MB L3 cache, 6 cores
    65 W
    Intel Core i7-10700 (Comet Lake-S) 2.9 GHz base frequency, up to 4.8 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 16 MB L3 cache, 8 cores
    65 W
    Intel Core i7-10700F (Comet Lake-S) 2.9 GHz base frequency, up to 4.8 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 16 MB L3 cache, 8 cores
    65 W
    Intel Core i3-10100 (Comet Lake-S) 3.6 GHz base frequency, up to 4.3 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 6 MB L3 cache, 4 cores
    65 W
    Intel Celeron G5900 (Comet Lake-S) 3.4 GHz base frequency, 2 MB L3 cache, 2 cores
    58 W
    Intel Pentium G6400 (Comet Lake-S) 4.0 GHz base frequency, 4 MB L2 cache, 2 cores
    58 W

2. Adding second video card: As you can see it has Two M.2 expansion slots (1 x PCIe x16 and 1 x PCIe x1) but ONLY one is suitable for a video card it already has NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1660 Ti (6 GB GDDR6 dedicated) therefore you can't add more.

You can upgrade to a better card but please bear in mind it only has 400 W Platinum efficiency power supply therefore it won't have enough power to high performance card.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi

https://support.hp.com/ph-en/document/c06696085

Intel® Core™ i7-10700 (2.9 GHz base frequency, up to 4.7 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 16 MB L3 cache, 8 cores)

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1660 Ti (6 GB GDDR6 dedicated)

400 W Platinum efficiency power supply

Internal Storage
256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD

Keep your original processor, it should be sufficient, for many tasks

possibly, as indicated, see for a better graphics card, it may be difficult to replace it, see if this helps for the power supply box

Power Supply Cross Reference for specific models

TP01-1042 PSU Upgrade (Baker MB) - HP Support Community - 8225805

possibly the small m2 SSD can be a problem, see if you want to replace it instead of the processor!

search for example here

https://support.hp.com/ph-en/product/hp-envy-desktop-pc-te01-1000i/32480777/product-info

HP ENVY Desktop TE01-1700ng PC Product Specifications

NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2060 SUPER™ (8 GB GDDR6 dedicated)

400 W Smart AC power adapter

It will be necessary to check according to the manufacturer's requirements of the model found!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Understood.

On an unrelated topic, is it possible to add a TV tuner card or other accessory next to the mobo? Just curious.

HP Recommended

@J_Egan.

You have a PCIe x1 slot on the MB. So an PCIe x1 TV tuner card may work. There are also USB options.

I have been streaming content for a long time so I have not really looked at PC TV tuner options for years. Then you have local Cable TV encryption to conquer. You will probably have to rent another Cable Co. box.

Start a new thread to get the best responses.

Regards

HP Recommended

Noted.

And would it be possible to replace the DVD writer on this model with a Blu-Ray writer? Again, just curious.

Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You would need something like this (Link) or a similar part. HP does not provide a Blu-Ray writer option at purchase. A HP component would be the best option.

I can't verify this will work with your PC. This component is not cheap. 

You can look at external USB 3.0 Blu-Ray burners. This gives you the function minus installation compatibility issues associated with internal drives.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.