Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion All-in-one 24-r0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,  please be kind to this first time posting hardware novice!

I have the opportunity to keep my Pavilion All-in-one 24-r0xx with an Intel(R)-Core(TM) i5-7400TCPU (@2.4GHz)... but don't think its fast enough for my new gaming needs.   First, is it even possible to upgrade just the processer in this computer?  Everything else about it suits me perfectly (2TB space, 12G RAM, etc.)

If so, what is recommended (read ** below)?

If not, is there anyway to make this faster?

**I've recently started gaming a lot but I get a "loading timeout" 3/4 of the time.  I upgraded my internet speed to 50MBps down/10 up but that didn't help... then saw the minimum requirements for the game are a i5 SandyBridge, recommended is i7 Haswell (google says mine's slower than both)

I said keep earlier as it was my work's machine, but the office is closing and for $225 its mine, wiped clean with Windows 10 reinstalled - much cheaper than buying new!  But if it can't be upgraded it may not be worth it.  Must decide in 3 days - thanks for any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You are welcome, @ScaryM!

@ScaryM wrote:

Hi Again @Old_geekster,

I think this is what you need:  Product Number: 2HJ42AA#ABL

Thanks!

This is exactly what I needed.

Here is the Product Specifications page.  If you look at the section titled "Processor upgrade information" you will find a list of compatible processors.  The only upgrade available is the i7-7700T.  This would be a great upgrade.

There is another upgrade that you may want to consider.  Adding a M.2, SSD, as your boot drive would increase boot speed and system performance.  If you look at the Motherboard Specifications page, in the section titled "Expansion Slots", it states that in some models there is "One M.2 socket 3, 2280 type for SSD".  I suggest that you make certain that this socket is available on your motherboard before ordering the M.2.  Here is a video that should help you open the case:

It is not for your exact model, but is for your 24 series.  There are many other guides and videos available online         .

I will never have another computer without a SSD boot drive.  I like Samsung SSD's because they seem to work best with HP BIOS'es.  Here is a HP Knowledge Base article to help you make the transition from the HDD to the SSD.  In your situation, you would install the M.2 and install the cloning software on the HDD and run it.  When it asks for the Target drive it would be the M.2.  Once the HDD is cloned to the M.2, you will go into the BIOS/UEFI and set the M.2 to first boot.

The weakest link in your computer for gaming, once these upgrades are made, will be the Integrated Video.  This is something that you will have to overcome by lowering the settings in some instances.  The price that you will pay for the computer will far out weigh this problem.

If you need further help, I am here every day at some point.  As an old gamer myself, I know how much fun games can be.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@ScaryM , welcome to the Community.

We are always kind to anyone and everyone who comes this Community!!

What is the Product Number of the computer? I need this information to review the specifications of it. Please don't furnish the Serial # or other personal information. You can find the Product Number at the bottom of the page when you open HP Support Assistant.

HP Recommended

Thanks for responding Geekster!

I don't have HP Support Assistant on my comp, nor can I download it - still a work machine and I don't have admin access.

Might this help?  From 'About' in settings the Product ID is 00330-80000-00000-AA232...  there is a Device ID but I think that's terminal specific...?  This is all fairly new to me.

HP Recommended

It is difficult to give you correct information without the Product Number.  There are numerous models in the series for your AIO.  Here is a guide that may help you provide the information.  I will help you when I have this information.

Good luck!

HP Recommended

Hi Again @Old_geekster,

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@ScaryM wrote:

Hi Again @Old_geekster,

Thanks!

This is exactly what I needed.

Here is the Product Specifications page.  If you look at the section titled "Processor upgrade information" you will find a list of compatible processors.  The only upgrade available is the i7-7700T.  This would be a great upgrade.

There is another upgrade that you may want to consider.  Adding a M.2, SSD, as your boot drive would increase boot speed and system performance.  If you look at the Motherboard Specifications page, in the section titled "Expansion Slots", it states that in some models there is "One M.2 socket 3, 2280 type for SSD".  I suggest that you make certain that this socket is available on your motherboard before ordering the M.2.  Here is a video that should help you open the case:

It is not for your exact model, but is for your 24 series.  There are many other guides and videos available online         .

I will never have another computer without a SSD boot drive.  I like Samsung SSD's because they seem to work best with HP BIOS'es.  Here is a HP Knowledge Base article to help you make the transition from the HDD to the SSD.  In your situation, you would install the M.2 and install the cloning software on the HDD and run it.  When it asks for the Target drive it would be the M.2.  Once the HDD is cloned to the M.2, you will go into the BIOS/UEFI and set the M.2 to first boot.

The weakest link in your computer for gaming, once these upgrades are made, will be the Integrated Video.  This is something that you will have to overcome by lowering the settings in some instances.  The price that you will pay for the computer will far out weigh this problem.

If you need further help, I am here every day at some point.  As an old gamer myself, I know how much fun games can be.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

You've been a great help - thank you SO much!  I won't be doing the replacement myself but I can' now speak much better to the guy who will. 

I don't want to spend a fortune on this machine but if a couple hundred bucks will help my game timeouts stop and load faster, I certainly will.  For that, you feel it's processor first, then SSD... or viceversa?

If you're interested further, I ran this test and got this result - seems my machine is really not ready for gaming  (I just want to play Dauntless, lol!)  https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/39515367

Summary if the link doesn't load:

UserBenchmarks: Game 3%, Desk 41%, Work 3%
CPU: Intel Core i5-7400T - 40.6%
GPU: Intel HD 630 (Desktop Kaby Lake) - 4.5%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB - 87.3%
USB: USB DISK 3.0 32GB - 9.9%
RAM: Samsung M471A1K43CB1-CRC M471A5244CB0-CRC 12GB - 36.6%
MBD: HP Pavilion All-in-One 24-r0xx

Not sure what the Canadian costs would be for the processor or SSD... or any GPU upgrades but I have more homework cut out for me.

You certainly answered my initial questions, and get my big thumbs up/solve.  Any further info/interest is gravy.  Thanks and cheers!

HP Recommended

@ScaryM 

These definitely are not the best stats for gaming.  The best way to know if a computer is gaming ready is to check the System Requirements for it.  Here is a website that I use for this purpose: https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

I normally recommend going with the Recommended Requirements.  This will assure that you can run the game at high settings without any problems.  This what I want as a gamer.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.