Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 510-P188a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone,

I have an HP Pavilion 510-P188a which has an a89600 and a gtx 750ti but I would really like to upgrade my processor as I am doing things that now require more power. I would have done research and a Ryzen 5 1600 would suit my needs but I am unsure if it will support my motherboard. 

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

You have an AM4 socket and the TDP of 65 watts is good.

The problems are HP has not validated Ryzen on your PC's motherboard and your PC was released for sale in 2016; the Ryzen 5 1600 was released for sale by AMD in 2017.

There would have to be a HP BIOS update to support Ryzen. There is a BIOS update (LInk) for your MB, SSID 822A but it does not reference additional processor support in the "Fixes" section.

So the answer is inconclusive unless someone in the forum has successfully upgraded to a Ryzen on this motherboard. Have you contacted HP Support about this?

Regards

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

You have an AM4 socket and the TDP of 65 watts is good.

The problems are HP has not validated Ryzen on your PC's motherboard and your PC was released for sale in 2016; the Ryzen 5 1600 was released for sale by AMD in 2017.

There would have to be a HP BIOS update to support Ryzen. There is a BIOS update (LInk) for your MB, SSID 822A but it does not reference additional processor support in the "Fixes" section.

So the answer is inconclusive unless someone in the forum has successfully upgraded to a Ryzen on this motherboard. Have you contacted HP Support about this?

Regards

HP Recommended

Hello,

I have not contacted HP support but I will try next. I don't really want to completely upgrade my system because it is not necessary for what I am doing (which is mainly gaming and video editing). Do you know any CPU/Processor that is capable of playing GTA V and editing 1080p video?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi Chazza123,

Your PC shipped with a AMD A8-9600. HP has validated a processor upgrade to a AMD A12-9800. You can upgrade memory to 16 GBs. You can upgrade the graphics card.

You would have to check recommended processor, RAM, and GPU requirements to: play GTA 5 or do video editing.

I don't know if upgrading to the AMD A12-9800 CPU will give you what you want.

You may have to replace the system if you are not happy now.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.