Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 500-342nem Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am planning to upgrade my hp pavilion 500-342nem which already has R7 240 graphics with the new RX 480.

Is it possible to upgrade both the psu and graphics card?

Will there be any compatibility problem (psu in question Corsair CX 500?.

i have heard a lot of chatter about hp restricting the upgrade of their pc's. 

Will the new card work?

Any help will be apppreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Jeffrin98, welcome to the forum.

I am unable to find the Product Specifications for the computer.  So, here is what you need to do.  Press the Start + R from the Desktop view.  This will open a Run dialogue box.  In the box titled Open type msinfo32.  In the page that opens check the option titled BIOS Mode.  If it says UEFI the motherboard will support the video card.  If not, you won't be able to proceed.

The next step is to measure the space where the card will be installed to assure that it will fit.  Measure from the Back I/O port to the front of the case.  This will allow you to see if any of the other components will restrict the install.

The Corsair CX500 power supply unit (PSU) should work.  However, check to see how much wattage the video card requires.  It may be better to buy a PSU with 600W.  The extra wattage will be used during peak power needs.  Also, the card may require additional power connectors.  Also, I recommend a modular PSU.  It allows you to only use the cables that are absolutely necessary, creating better airflow.  This is very important with more powerful video cards.  The heat can be much greater.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Jeffrin98, welcome to the forum.

I am unable to find the Product Specifications for the computer.  So, here is what you need to do.  Press the Start + R from the Desktop view.  This will open a Run dialogue box.  In the box titled Open type msinfo32.  In the page that opens check the option titled BIOS Mode.  If it says UEFI the motherboard will support the video card.  If not, you won't be able to proceed.

The next step is to measure the space where the card will be installed to assure that it will fit.  Measure from the Back I/O port to the front of the case.  This will allow you to see if any of the other components will restrict the install.

The Corsair CX500 power supply unit (PSU) should work.  However, check to see how much wattage the video card requires.  It may be better to buy a PSU with 600W.  The extra wattage will be used during peak power needs.  Also, the card may require additional power connectors.  Also, I recommend a modular PSU.  It allows you to only use the cables that are absolutely necessary, creating better airflow.  This is very important with more powerful video cards.  The heat can be much greater.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.