Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP xw8400 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi, i'm having trouble finding BIOs updates for the A9T80A HP xw8400 workstation.  I have windows 7 (64 -bit), and the only options that i can select are windows vista, windows xp and linux, i need windows 7.  I'm trying to upgrade the processor and i can't do that with out the BIOs update.  Here's the current processor: Intel xeon  E5345 and this is the one i'm trying to upgrade to: Intel xeon X5470, is this possible? and where could i find the BIOs update for this? -Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

That is the latest update and the only ones available are what are on the support page.

I see that there are no other releases on the revision history tab, so it is probable that the processor you want to install won't work, but I could not say for sure.

Below is the link to the xw8400 quickspecs and page 3 has the list of supported processors.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/attachments/psg/Business-PC-Workstation-POS/2292/1/xw8400%20QuickSpecs...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

You should be able to use the latest Vista BIOS, but don't use the Windows based flash.

Use the F10 DOS based flash method.

When you first run the BIOS update file an information page should open and provide you with various methods to update the BIOS.

Select the F10 BIOS Flash method.

Get a USB flash drive and format it with the FAT32 file system.

Read the instructions under the F10 Setup BIOS flashing method, and it should give you a link to click on to copy the contents of the DOS flash folder.  Copy the files in the folder to your USB flash drive.

Restart the PC and tap the F10 key to get into the BIOS.

Select the File menu and then select the Flash system ROM command from the list.

Then select your USB flash drive and the PC should see the BIOS files on the flash drive.

Follow the on screen instructions to update the BIOS.

By flashing the BIOS using the above method, it does not matter what operating system you are running.

HP Recommended

ok, but i looked at the notes for that update and it doesn't say that it adds the processor that i'm trying to add, is there a different update?

@Paul_Tikkanen wrote:

Hi:

You should be able to use the latest Vista BIOS, but don't use the Windows based flash.

Use the F10 DOS based flash method.

When you first run the BIOS update file an information page should open and provide you with various methods to update the BIOS.

Select the F10 BIOS Flash method.

Get a USB flash drive and format it with the FAT32 file system.

Read the instructions under the F10 Setup BIOS flashing method, and it should give you a link to click on to copy the contents of the DOS flash folder.  Copy the files in the folder to your USB flash drive.

Restart the PC and tap the F10 key to get into the BIOS.

Select the File menu and then select the Flash system ROM command from the list.

Then select your USB flash drive and the PC should see the BIOS files on the flash drive.

Follow the on screen instructions to update the BIOS.

By flashing the BIOS using the above method, it does not matter what operating system you are running.

HP Recommended

Hi:

That is the latest update and the only ones available are what are on the support page.

I see that there are no other releases on the revision history tab, so it is probable that the processor you want to install won't work, but I could not say for sure.

Below is the link to the xw8400 quickspecs and page 3 has the list of supported processors.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/attachments/psg/Business-PC-Workstation-POS/2292/1/xw8400%20QuickSpecs...

HP Recommended

I looked at the revision history, and there's only one update which is the one i'm looking at, i don't see any others updates, would they be under a different operating system

HP Recommended

Ok yah i looked at page 3 like you said and sadly my processor isn't on there, thank you!!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.