4 3 1 2
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Solved!

Can't open HP Pavilion gaming desktop

HP Recommended
Pavilion gaming
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a very basic issue. I can't get the side panel to come off. I've removed it with no problem a couple of times before, but now it just won't budge. There is only one screw which I've removed. Can anyone suggest what the problem might be? The computer works fine, I just want to see if it's time to clean out any dust.

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
24,626 24,278 2,834 10,371
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@RosieG1 , welcome to the Community.

What is the Product Number of the computer? I need this information to review the specifications of it. Please don't furnish the Serial # or other personal information. You can find the Product Number at the bottom of the page when you open HP Support Assistant.

I am not an HP Employee!!

Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
0 Kudos
RosieG1
Author
Level 1
4 3 1 2
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, the product # is 3LB47AA#ABA.

HTH

0 Kudos
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @RosieG1!

Here is a video that will not only show you how to remove the side panel, but upgrade the components if you want to:

If you go to 1.20 minutes in the video it shows opening the side panel.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

0 Kudos
RosieG1
Author
Level 1
4 3 1 2
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I've watched this video before. That place where he removes the side panel - looks so easy right? That's what I can't do! I pull on it and it doesn't budge. I'm wondering if it could be caught on something inside.

When I first bought this PC, I opened it up to add RAM and did not have this issue. I haven't opened it since. Could I have done something? I feel like hitting it with a sledgehammer but I don't think that would help!

0 Kudos
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@RosieG1 

@RosieG1 wrote:

Hi,

I've watched this video before. That place where he removes the side panel - looks so easy right? That's what I can't do! I pull on it and it doesn't budge. I'm wondering if it could be caught on something inside.

When I first bought this PC, I opened it up to add RAM and did not have this issue. I haven't opened it since. Could I have done something? I feel like hitting it with a sledgehammer but I don't think that would help!

This is strange.  There should be nothing inside of the case that would keep it from releasing.  I suggest assuring that the screw is fully loose and maybe push on the panel towards the front of the case to see if that releases it.  Honestly, I am at a loss.  I have never seen this happen in my 30+ years of computing.  Please don't use a sledge hammer on it!! 😉  You would have worse problems.

0 Kudos
RosieG1
Author
Level 1
4 3 1 2
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After more pushing and pulling I finally got it open. Though closing it required some effort so I'll certainly have the same problem the next time. I didn't see anything that would cause this inside the case, just a tight fit I guess.

Thanks very much for your help!

old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You are welcome, @RosieG1!  Thank you for the update.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation