Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP slimline 260-a116nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i need help about one big problem i have found on my pc HP slimline 260-a116nl.

first: i have a buy a new ssd to do upgrade from hdd to ssd

- i have tried 2 different ssd

second: when i mount this ssd, computer don't boot and bios freeze when pc start

- this problem reguard BIOS: if i start a windows recovery tools without SSD, and i connect SSD during Recovery, all is ok; when i restart pc, BIOS freeze on startup because i think this version have a bug.

third: i have try to update bios in all method HP describe in it site.. BUT my bios is newer then last bios on hp site.

- my bios version installed is: "BIOS Revision/Date: 821D vF.50 05/05/2019"

on official HP site, i can find vF.46... but i can't install with all method describe in HP site.. all way have an error ("Can't open signature file", "this version is older then version installed", ecc..) and i don't know what can i try to do to fix it!

What can i do to downgrade bios and install SSD?

Thanks for help!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Ced_RT , welcome to the Community.

Normally, once you update the BIOS/UEFI in the HP motherboard it is not possible to revert to the previous version.  I suggest that you assure that the BIOS is 1) set to ACHI/RAID and 2) you may have to disable Secure Boot.  Give this a try to see what happens.

What is the brand of the SSD and model and how did you do the clone of the HDD?

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Hi!

thanks for your replay...

1) i haven't possibility su set ACHI/RAID

2) just try without secure boot... nothing change...

the bios version is really strang: 

on the hp official website, the latest official released version does not match with the version installed on my motherboar.

I think HP released my version (F.50) and then removed it because it didn't work properly. but now i can't use my pc as it should because my bios doesn't work properly .. and i can't even downgrade! absurd.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @Ced_RT!

I suggest that you contact the SSD manufacturer's Tech Support to see if they can help you.  They are the experts on their products.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Finished a fresh install on a brand new SSD. Everything was running fine until the HP firmware update was installed via windows update (f.50).

Attempted to recover BIOS using usb for each ROM version (and older versios of 821D),  but each fail stating the BIOS files cannot be found or are corrupt.

Original platter drive still boots.

SSD is a Samsung EVO 860.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.